From: Adrian Davis on
I have a script which uses the "http" package. Intermittentley I get a
hang on "http::geturl" - I have a one minute (-timeout 60000) set, but
this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas ideas as to what I can try to fix this would be much
appreciated!!

(Tcl 8.5.4 on WIndows Server 2000)

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
From: schlenk on
On Oct 15, 11:35 am, Adrian Davis <adr...(a)satisoft.com> wrote:
> I have a script which uses the "http" package. Intermittentley I get a
> hang on "http::geturl" - I have a one minute (-timeout 60000) set, but
> this doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> Any ideas ideas as to what I can try to fix this would be much
> appreciated!!
>
> (Tcl 8.5.4 on WIndows Server 2000)

The typical hang would be nameserver related, so if your DNS is not
resolving, you can get longer hangs. One way around it would be some
async DNS resolver.

Michael
From: Adrian Davis on
> The typical hang would be nameserver related, so if your DNS is not
> resolving, you can get longer hangs. One way around it would be some
> async DNS resolver.

Michael,

Unfortunately, I get the same problem when specifying the IP address
directly in the URL.

Best Regards,
=Adrian=

From: Alexandre Ferrieux on
On Oct 15, 12:40 pm, Adrian Davis <adr...(a)satisoft.com> wrote:
> > The typical hang would be nameserver related, so if your DNS is not
> > resolving, you can get longer hangs. One way around it would be some
> > async DNS resolver.
>
> Michael,
>
> Unfortunately, I get the same problem when specifying the IP address
> directly in the URL.
>
> Best Regards,
>    =Adrian=

Are you using a proxy ? If yes and the proxy host is given by name,
you get the DNS bottleneck again.
Otherwise, maybe you can use Wireshark to see what gets out on the
wire, and possibly infer something ?

-Alex
From: tom.rmadilo on
On Oct 15, 3:40 am, Adrian Davis <adr...(a)satisoft.com> wrote:
> > The typical hang would be nameserver related, so if your DNS is not
> > resolving, you can get longer hangs. One way around it would be some
> > async DNS resolver.
>
> Michael,
>
> Unfortunately, I get the same problem when specifying the IP address
> directly in the URL.

Unplug your network cable, extend your timeout to over three minutes
(or maybe five) and see what the error message is for dns timeout. If
it doesn't differ from the original, you may not be able to rely on
the error message. But 60 seconds is less than required to test DNS
timeout.

You can also place the ip address in your local hosts file to avoid
name resolving. If you use a proxy, try to configure it via your hosts
file also.

Otherwise, I would make a list of the problem urls and try with wget,
curl or telnet. Ping is also a good tool. Right now, the info only
allows everyone to guess.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: socket limitations question