From: Tony on
Did the upgrade of the ROM. It stuffed my IPAQ - stuck on the 'screen align'
setup
screen. Even a clean reset does not help. HP online chat help was USELESS!
Wasted an hour with them.
I await a phone call on Monday (business hours) - it is Friday night here in
Australia
Not very happy!

Can anyone here help? Figure it might happen here quicker than HP can!

Thanks.

From: Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
>> Can anyone here help? <<

First, be sure you are executing a "hard reset" and not a "soft reset"

No guarantees, but, the following points have worked for me in similar
situations where the first rom upgrade try failed.

Remove memory card

fully charge unit

run upgrade while hooked to charger

stop all processes on the desktop

set screensaver and any suspend timeout OFF

restart rom ugrade process

If it fails again, retry at least twice.

As long as the rom loader can execute and begin the process, there is
hope... if the upgrade process cannot begin, the only option I am aware
of is to allow the oem to execute a hardware reflash of the unit.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

From: Cleveland Tech on

> >I found the solution at:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/23561.html

> > it's for 2490b
> >
> > "Tony" <anthn(a)hotmail.com>
> >
> >> Sorry guys if this is a stupid question, but I am new to PDAs.
> >>
> >> Have had my Hx2490 for about a month - all was going fine. Bought
nyself
> >> a 1 GB SD card to load my music. Left the card in the PDA overnight...
> >> with the unit turned off....next morning the battery was dead. Would
not
> >> start. Charged the battery - but the PDA would not start. Took the SD
> >> card out - it started. Thought this may have been just a 'once off'
(one
> >> of those computer glitches) so been experimenting a bit since.
> >>
> >> Comes down to -
> >>
> >> 1. if I turn the unit off with the SD card inserted, it will not start
> >> again with it inserted - even though there is battery power left. Take
it
> >> out and it starts!
> >> 2. if I turn the unit off with the SD card inserted, it drains the
> >> battery within a few hours.
> >>
> >> Question - is this normal?? If not, what's going on?
> >>
> >> Hope someone can help.
> >>
> >> Regards.

Also, just to be clear on the reset from HP -

Recovery Procedure for HP iPAQ hx2750, hx2490, and hx2790 Pocket PC Series:
1.. Perform a Hard Reset on the iPAQ Pocket PC by pressing and holding the
Calendar and iTask buttons (1 and 4).
2.. While holding down the Calendar and iTask buttons, use the stylus to
lightly press and hold the Reset button, which is located at the bottom of
the iPAQ Pocket PC, for approximately two seconds.
3.. Release all buttons.
4.. Connect AC power to the iPAQ Pocket PC. The handheld Powers On,
performs the normal boot sequence, and automatically restarts the update
process.
Also - Bev has great advice on steps to try (or retry)

Good luck.

From: Cleveland Tech on

From: Tony on
Thanks for the help guys.

I had done ALL resets - soft reset; hard reset (calander+iTask+reset) and
clean reset (calander+power+messaging+reset)...all to no avail. It will not
do the normal reboot sequence tho - it is stuck on the 'screen align' screen
during the reboot - will not go to the next screen.

Looks like back to HP! Thanks anyway.

Regards.