From: Tim on
I have read so many threads.....

I want to be able to access my PC folders w/laptop which is wireless.

I shared the C: drive, I turned off simple sharing, I see my PC name on
the wireless when mapping drive but I click the + and no folders show
up even tho I have C: and one other shared. I map directly using
//pcname/C$ and it still doesn't work.

XP pro on PC wired to linksys router. XP home on laptop. They work
fine w/router but I am not network saavy.

I have set security on router already so that only my laptop can use it
(MAC filtering, WAP, etc.).

help me!!!!! please.

Tim

From: John Navas on
On 20 Jul 2006 18:42:25 -0700, "Tim" <meftsimmons(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
<1153446145.135663.18550(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

>I have read so many threads.....
>
>I want to be able to access my PC folders w/laptop which is wireless.
>
>I shared the C: drive, I turned off simple sharing, I see my PC name on
>the wireless when mapping drive but I click the + and no folders show
>up even tho I have C: and one other shared.

Temporarily turn off all firewalling on both computers. Check on the PC
(with NET VIEW) to make sure that its shares are visible.

>I map directly using
>//pcname/C$ and it still doesn't work.

Special drive shares with a $ are "invisible". Create a new share with
a non-invisible name. Be sure to set a strong password.

>XP pro on PC wired to linksys router. XP home on laptop. They work
>fine w/router but I am not network saavy.

"How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007/>

>I have set security on router already so that only my laptop can use it
>(MAC filtering, WAP, etc.).

Get rid of MAC filtering -- it's probably not a problem, but it won't
really help. Just use a strong WPA (not WAP) passphrase. See wikis
below.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Mark McIntyre on
On 20 Jul 2006 18:42:25 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , "Tim"
<meftsimmons(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I shared the C: drive, I turned off simple sharing, I see my PC name on
>the wireless when mapping drive but I click the + and no folders show
>up even tho I have C: and one other shared. I map directly using
>//pcname/C$ and it still doesn't work.

You need to set permissions on the shares AND on the directories so
that the laptop username can see them. Generally this means making the
share and directory readable by the EVERYONE group.

By the way, NEVER share out the root of your C drive, it contains
vital system files and if someone hacks in, your PC can be compromised
totally. Only ever share out secure subfolders.

--
Mark McIntyre
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:38:01 +0100, Mark McIntyre
<markmcintyre(a)spamcop.net> wrote in
<42m1c25u99u1t8cssueem5fani5ppaf60c(a)4ax.com>:

>On 20 Jul 2006 18:42:25 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , "Tim"
><meftsimmons(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I shared the C: drive, I turned off simple sharing, I see my PC name on
>>the wireless when mapping drive but I click the + and no folders show
>>up even tho I have C: and one other shared. I map directly using
>>//pcname/C$ and it still doesn't work.
>
>You need to set permissions on the shares AND on the directories so
>that the laptop username can see them. Generally this means making the
>share and directory readable by the EVERYONE group.

To give everyone [shudder] access, use Simple File Sharing. See
"How to configure file sharing in Windows XP"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/>

However, for anyone with XP Pro (not Home), I strongly recommend
controlled sharing of folders instead of Simple File Sharing. See
"How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
folder in Windows XP" <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/>

>By the way, NEVER share out the root of your C drive, it contains
>vital system files and if someone hacks in, your PC can be compromised
>totally. Only ever share out secure subfolders.

True, except that Simple File Sharing *isn't* secure.

From: Tim on
Thanks for the replies.

I may just share the root but deny any altering privilege. Just want
to be able to transfer files to and from my PC w/o burning CD or using
removable ram or whatever.

Tim