From: Martin Schleier on
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:59:37 Alan Cox wrote:
> > Looks good? checkpatch.pl has a very different opinion.
>
> Firstly please learn to trim your email
No, this email contained comments regarding the code.

If it wasn't riddled with 19 errors (not bad for only 133 lines),
I would have bothered to remove these irrelevant lines.

So this advises goes right out of the window.

> Secondly Ingo knows how to operate checkpatch and trivial style bits
> like that are irrelevant to meaningful discussion about code.

Oh, I'm deeply sorry Sir Cox,
I was unaware of the fact that Ingo is just one of your checkpatch minions!?

There's a document, you should have heard of before,
Documentation/SubmittingPatches and it states: "

4) Style check your changes.

Check your patch for basic style violations, details of which can be
found in Documentation/CodingStyle. Failure to do so simply wastes
the reviewers time and will get your patch rejected, probably
without even being read.

At a minimum you should check your patches with the patch style
checker prior to submission (scripts/checkpatch.pl). You should
be able to justify all violations that remain in your patch."

Style checks are indeed part of the job of submitting a patch.

It's supposed to make life easier for the Maintainers, so
they only need to add the SOB-line. Instead of wasting their
precious time with really trivia checkpatch.pl fixes.

If you don't like these guidelines,
I'm sure you can call for one of your other
minions e.g. linus to change that for your majesty.

---

Anyway, Matteo Croce reacted quickly and posted a followup.
Well done!
--
GRATIS f�r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
From: Alan Cox on
> If it wasn't riddled with 19 errors (not bad for only 133 lines),
> I would have bothered to remove these irrelevant lines.

Checkpatch is just formatting - its just an aide nothing more. It's not
remotely useful to bother with them for stuff that is basically sanely
formatted until such point as someone is actually sure the patch is worth
going into the tree.
From: Martin Schleier on
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 18:22:18 Alan Cox wrote:
> > If it wasn't riddled with 19 errors (not bad for only 133 lines),
> > I would have bothered to remove these irrelevant lines.
>
> Checkpatch is just formatting - its just an aide nothing more.
> It's not remotely useful to bother with them for stuff that is
> basically sanely formatted until such point as someone is actually
> sure the patch is worth going into the tree.

the utility is called checkpatch and not checkstyle or checkformatting.
And there's a good reason behind this decision, because it does
more than just checking style.

e.g:
- correct use of some blackfin hi/lo macros.
- if certain data structures are declared as const
(struct seq_operations/file_operations)
- correct use of NR_CPUS is usually wrong
- complains about in_atomic() outside core kernel code
- warns about LINUX_VERSION_CODE, #if 0,
volatile or deprecated functions.
- informs about needless kfree/usb_free_urb checks
- etc...

and I'm sure that future modifications will add more
useful functionality _checks_ to many more _common pitfalls_
areas.
--
DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon f�r
16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02
From: Matteo Croce on
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa(a)zytor.com> wrote:
> On 11/06/2009 06:59 AM, Matteo Croce wrote:
>> indeed it has MMX, MMXEXT and CMOV, just lacks the long NOP instruction (NOPL).
>
> MMX and MMXEXT are hardly hallmarks of i686, which leaves only cmov.
> I'm somewhat wondering about the general value of this patch; is i686
> code really that much faster on Geode that it's worth it?
>
> � � � �-hpa
>
> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel. �I don't speak on their behalf.

yes, I did some test like gzip, bzip2, lame etc and they give more or less
the same results of dhrystone

root(a)alix:/usr/src# CFLAGS='-march=i586' ./dry.c
gcc -c -O3 -march=i586 ./dry.c -o dry1.o
gcc -DPASS2 -O3 -march=i586 ./dry.c dry1.o -o dry2

Dhrystone Benchmark, Version C, Version 2.2
Program compiled without 'register' attribute
Using times(), HZ=100

Trying 5000000 runs through Dhrystone:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone: 1.4
Dhrystones per Second: 740741

root(a)alix:/usr/src# CFLAGS='-march=i686' ./dry.c
gcc -c -O3 -march=i686 ./dry.c -o dry1.o
gcc -DPASS2 -O3 -march=i686 ./dry.c dry1.o -o dry2

Dhrystone Benchmark, Version C, Version 2.2
Program compiled without 'register' attribute
Using times(), HZ=100

Trying 5000000 runs through Dhrystone:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone: 1.2
Dhrystones per Second: 841751
From: Martin Schleier on
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:02:59 Alan Cox wrote:
> ** Plonk ***

*** Plonk ***

here, Sir, I have that posting fixed that for you.

--
GRATIS f�r alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!