From: zoara on
Has anyone managed to compare two iPhone 4s side-by-side, one of which
suffers from the "death grip" and the other that doesn't? I don't mean
"loses bars", I mean it goes to No Signal and won't take calls. Or has
anyone seen comparison videos anywhere?

Trying to work out whether different batches suffer from the problem
differently.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: whisky-dave on

"zoara" <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone managed to compare two iPhone 4s side-by-side, one of which
> suffers from the "death grip" and the other that doesn't? I don't mean
> "loses bars", I mean it goes to No Signal and won't take calls. Or has
> anyone seen comparison videos anywhere?
>
> Trying to work out whether different batches suffer from the problem
> differently.

I'm wondering whether or not shorting out the 'antennas' via fingers, water
or a bit of wire makes any differnce, also in theory maybe a bit of wire
soldered to the case/antenna might impove the signal. Maybe having a 1 metre
bit of wire soldered to the iPhone will give a massive improvent to the
signal and allow you to recieve signals from Aliens on those exo-planets
they keep finding. ;-)

From: zoara on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "zoara" <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone managed to compare two iPhone 4s side-by-side, one of
> > which
>> suffers from the "death grip" and the other that doesn't? I don't
> > mean
>> "loses bars", I mean it goes to No Signal and won't take calls. Or
> > has
>> anyone seen comparison videos anywhere?
>>
>> Trying to work out whether different batches suffer from the problem
>> differently.
>
> I'm wondering whether or not shorting out the 'antennas' via fingers,
> water
> or a bit of wire makes any differnce,

Bridging the gap with a finger causes the issue. Bridging it with a
paperclip doesn't. Pass on the water thing as it's not my phone and I
don't want to take the risk :)

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Peter Ceresole on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Bridging the gap with a finger causes the issue. Bridging it with a
> paperclip doesn't.

Which seems to show that it's a capacitance issue. Like the finger is
changing the aerial response, rather that bridging the aerial elements.
--
Peter
From: zoara on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Bridging the gap with a finger causes the issue. Bridging it with a
>> paperclip doesn't.
>
> Which seems to show that it's a capacitance issue. Like the finger is
> changing the aerial response, rather that bridging the aerial
> elements.

It's curious that it's so localised, though. I'm fairly sure that we
tested holding it *near* the black bar but not *bridging* it, and it
didn't trigger it.

Bridging the top bar (the other one that isolates the two aerials from
each other) doesn't trigger the effect, either. Not sure I can work that
out.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm