From: gtr on
I''m on a Mac, if it matters. I've looked everywhere for this:

I want to play an tune via iTunes and be able to tune it up a 1/2 or
whole step in pitch, without changing the speed. Just like I do with
Transcribe!

I know I can import into Transcribe! and write out an appropriate
modification. But I just want to do this on the run to an album I don't
really care that much about.

(In ye olden days, recordings worked at 76rpm and 80rpm. Thus
Victrolas of split it at 78.26 rpm. That makes for a lot of records
keyed to B and E, which horn players don't consider feasible.)

Additionally, the plug-in might change speed. For instance, leave the
pitch unchanged but slow from 200mm to 182mm.

Does this exist?
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
On 2010-07-22 08:07:56 -0700, Tom Harrington said:

>> I know I can import into Transcribe! and write out an appropriate
>> modification. But I just want to do this on the run to an album I don't
>> really care that much about.
>
> Not as a plug-in, but I believe Capo can do all of this in a separate
> app: <http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/Capo/>.

Conversion of files is not my intent. I have Transcribe which is built
specifically for such tasks if I want to make a project of it. The
intent is to listen to music at leisure from the 20's but correctly
pitched.

I wanted to do it--specifically--in iTunes. Apparently that can't be done.

Thanks for thinking about it, guys!
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
On 2010-07-22 11:48:58 -0700, Tom Harrington said:

> Then you should check out Capo, because it will do what you described
> without converting the files.
>
>> I wanted to do it--specifically--in iTunes. Apparently that can't be done.
>
> Nevertheless it can be done, easily, in a separate app.

When I say "do" in this case, it means "do in iTunes". Thus "do it in a
separate app" is not "doing it in iTunes".

There is a reason that I want to do it *within iTunes".
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
On 2010-07-22 21:29:05 -0700, krishnananda said:

> Certainly applescript might come in handy to work with your reason for
> only wanting to use iTunes. I imagine it would be a short script that
> redirects output of iTunes through one of the several external apps that
> can change tempo and pitch.
>
> It should end up being transparent to you. From your point of view you
> would never "leave" iTunes.

Sure; the same is true of a "plug-in". In actuality it is another
external program. Do you know a program that will take the applescript
feed to change pitch?
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: gtr on
On 2010-07-22 08:07:56 -0700, Tom Harrington said:

[ For the passerby with the same predicament: ]

>> (In ye olden days, recordings were done at 76rpm and 80rpm. Thus
>> Victrolas split it and played back at 78.26 rpm. That makes for a lot
>> of records
>> keyed to [closer to] B and E, which horn players don't consider feasible.)
>
> Not as a plug-in, but I believe Capo can do all of this in a separate
> app: <http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/Capo/>.

Capo doesn't work for this. I just checked it out and find that one can
either increment or decrement speed while retaining pitch, or change
pitch leaving speed the same. Neither accomplishes my desire.

Primarily all I actually wanted to do was hear the music as originally
played. Recordings were created at ~76 rpm, then played back at ~78 rpm
where they were converted to digital. Thus the digital replication
itself is inaccurate simultaneously in both pitch and speed of
performance.

To correct this I only need to decrement the speed-of-playback. Though
Transcribe! has myriad options, I can't accomplish this directly, nor
with Capo. I did accomplish this with Amadeus Pro, though: I
continually fiddled with "Change PItch and Speed..." options. Here
there is a "lock" option that locks the pitch and the speed (unlike
both Transcribe and Capo). Continuously fiddling, I find that changing
pitch to -1.1 (which changes speed to 98.8% of original) provides the
correction.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?