From: neil on
Hi, need some advice on whether anyone has sucessfully set up iTunes to
run inside an emulator on freebsd?

I have an iPhone and the only reason I have windows is so that I can use
it to sync my phone . My question is - can I still do this in freebsd
without windows?
From: Indi on
On 2010-06-22, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> Hi, need some advice on whether anyone has sucessfully set up iTunes to
> run inside an emulator on freebsd?
>
> I have an iPhone and the only reason I have windows is so that I can use
> it to sync my phone . My question is - can I still do this in freebsd
> without windows?

You can run windows in virtualbox and use iTunes in virtualized windows.
Also there are other apps which can be used with iPods, perhaps they'd
also work for the iPhone? Check out Amarok, Banshee, gtkpod, etc.

Can't vouch for them though as I have no experience...

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: neil on
Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> On 2010-06-22, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>> Hi, need some advice on whether anyone has sucessfully set up iTunes
>> run inside an emulator on freebsd?
>>
>> I have an iPhone and the only reason I have windows is so that I can
> > use
>> it to sync my phone . My question is - can I still do this in freebsd
>> without windows?
>
> You can run windows in virtualbox and use iTunes in virtualized
> windows.
> Also there are other apps which can be used with iPods, perhaps they'd
>
> also work for the iPhone? Check out Amarok, Banshee, gtkpod, etc.
>
> Can't vouch for them though as I have no experience...

Thanks I will try virtualbox once I configure X
From: Mike Clarke on
Indi wrote:

> On 2010-06-22, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>> Hi, need some advice on whether anyone has sucessfully set up iTunes to
>> run inside an emulator on freebsd?
>>
>> I have an iPhone and the only reason I have windows is so that I can use
>> it to sync my phone . My question is - can I still do this in freebsd
>> without windows?
>
> You can run windows in virtualbox and use iTunes in virtualized windows.

But there's no support for a virtual USB controller in virtualbox-ose in
ports so you'll not be able to access the iPhone over your USB port :-<

--
Mike Clarke
From: Warren Block on
neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>> On 2010-06-22, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>>> Hi, need some advice on whether anyone has sucessfully set up iTunes
>>> to run inside an emulator on freebsd?
>>>
>>> I have an iPhone and the only reason I have windows is so that I can
>>> use it to sync my phone . My question is - can I still do this in
>>> freebsd without windows?
>>
>> You can run windows in virtualbox and use iTunes in virtualized
>> windows. Also there are other apps which can be used with iPods,
>> perhaps they'd also work for the iPhone? Check out Amarok, Banshee,
>> gtkpod, etc.
>>
>> Can't vouch for them though as I have no experience...
>
> Thanks I will try virtualbox once I configure X

Not sure about the latest Wine and USB, but it's surprisingly capable
for some things. Mixed results with iTunes and Linux reported on
winehq.org. May be better on FreeBSD.