Prev: New page problem
Next: test
From: Abe Simpson on
Hi all,

I have an application that essentially restarts IIS programmatically. On
Windows 2000, 2003 and XP, the name for the IIS service was "iisadmin".
However on Windows 7 (and probably Vista too?) this name is no longer
recognized. Through some experimentation, I figured the new name was "http"
but wanted to confirm it with you folks.

Thanks.

-- Abe

From: Ken Schaefer on
iisadmin service is still there. However http connections are managed by
http.sys. This is also the case in Vista and Windows Server 2008, not just
Win7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Cheers
Ken

From: Abe Simpson on
Thanks for this info. If iisadmin is still there, how come I cannot execute
the command

c:\>net stop iisadmin /y

The response is, "The service name is invalid."

however

c:\>net stop http /y

does work and stops W3SVC and other services.

Thanks again for your reply.

-- Abe

From: Ken Schaefer on
You will need to execute that step in a command window that has elevated
privileges (to see the iisadmin service)

If you run: sc.exe query type= service in an elevated command window you
will get a list of services (and it also gives you the ability to
start/stop/pause/etc services and drivers). You can also see exposed
services via the Services MMC (Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Admin
Tools -> Services)

> Thanks for this info. If iisadmin is still there, how come I cannot
> execute the command
>
> c:\>net stop iisadmin /y
>
> The response is, "The service name is invalid."
>
> however
>
> c:\>net stop http /y
>
> does work and stops W3SVC and other services.
>
> Thanks again for your reply.
>
> -- Abe
>

> "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVE(a)THISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
>> iisadmin service is still there. However http connections are managed by
>> http.sys. This is also the case in Vista and Windows Server 2008, not
>> just Win7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ken
>>
>> "Abe Simpson" <abe(a)simpson.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have an application that essentially restarts IIS programmatically. On
>>> Windows 2000, 2003 and XP, the name for the IIS service was "iisadmin".
>>> However on Windows 7 (and probably Vista too?) this name is no longer
>>> recognized. Through some experimentation, I figured the new name was
>>> "http" but wanted to confirm it with you folks.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -- Abe

Pages: 1
Prev: New page problem