From: David R Tribble on

Tony Orlow wrote:
> Is that supposed to make me happy?

It was supposed to make Albrecht happy, since I was responding to him.

Slight correction:
M(n) = sum{i=0 to L(n)} 2^L(n)2^(L(n)-i+1) where D(n,i) = 1
This reverses the binary digits of n.

From: David Kastrup on

"David R Tribble" <david(a)tribble.com> writes:

> Because I can prove it (and it's a very old proof). A powerset of a
> nonempty set contains more elements that the set.

Drop the "nonempty", it is not necessary. P({}) = {{}} contains more
elements than {}, and the old proof works even for that case.

From: albstorz on
David R Tribble wrote:
> Albrecht S. Storz wrote:
> >> Cantor proofs his wrong conclusion with the same mix of potential
> >> infinity and actual infinity. But there is no bijection between this
> >> two concepts. The antidiagonal is an unicorn.
> >> There is no stringend concept about infinity. And there is no aleph_1,
> >> aleph_2, ... or any other infinity.
> >

> David R Tribble wrote:
> >> For that to be true, there must be a bijection between an infinite
> >> set (any infinite set) and its powerset. Bitte, show us a bijection
> >> between N and P(N).
> >

> Albrecht S. Storz wrote:
> > At first, you should show, that bijection means something to
> > notwellordered infinite sets.
> >
> > Bijection is a clear concept on finite sets, it also works on
> > wellordered infinite sets of the same infinite concept.
> > Aber: Show me a bijection between two infinite sets with the same
> > cardinality, where one of the sets is still not wellorderable.
> > Than I will show you a bijection between N and P(N) or N and R or P(N)
> > and P(P(N)) or what you want.
>
> I see. I'm supposed to show you a proof before you can show me your
> proof. Okay, I give up, you win, so your proof must be correct.
>
> Come on, now. It's up to you to prove your own claim, especially
> when it contradicts established mathematics. I know you cannot show
> a bijection between N and P(N).
>

> P.S.
>
> Let
> D(n,i) = floor(n/2^i) mod 2, for all i=0,1,2,3,...
> This is the i-th binary digit of natural n
> L(n) = i where D(n,i) = 1 and D(n,j) = 0 for all j > i
> This is the number of binary digits of natural n, or ceil(log2(n))
> Let
> M(n) = sum{i=0 to L(n)} 1/2^(i+1) where D(n,i) = 1
> This reverses the binary digits of n.
>
> Then M(n) is a mapping N -> N, from all n in N to M(n) in N,
> but the set of all M(n) is not a well-ordered set.
> Happy?

Sad!
First of all you don't argue on my claim of the thread.
Second, your above argueing is not clear to me, since both sets are
well-ordered. But it's nice, so I give this:

{1},{2},{3}, ...
N/{1},N/{2},N/{3}, ...
{1,2},{1,3},{2,3},{1,4},...
N/{1,2}, ...

Now count in diagonal sequence. You may think of Cantor's first
diagonal proof.

Which subset of N is not included?

Regards
AS

From: David R Tribble on

David Kastrup wrote:
> Drop the "nonempty", it is not necessary. P({}) = {{}} contains more
> elements than {}, and the old proof works even for that case.

Yep, I forgot about that one!

From: stephen on
albstorz(a)gmx.de wrote:
> David R Tribble wrote:

>> Albrecht S. Storz wrote:
>> > At first, you should show, that bijection means something to
>> > notwellordered infinite sets.
>> >
>> > Bijection is a clear concept on finite sets, it also works on
>> > wellordered infinite sets of the same infinite concept.
>> > Aber: Show me a bijection between two infinite sets with the same
>> > cardinality, where one of the sets is still not wellorderable.
>> > Than I will show you a bijection between N and P(N) or N and R or P(N)
>> > and P(P(N)) or what you want.
>>
>> I see. I'm supposed to show you a proof before you can show me your
>> proof. Okay, I give up, you win, so your proof must be correct.
>>
>> Come on, now. It's up to you to prove your own claim, especially
>> when it contradicts established mathematics. I know you cannot show
>> a bijection between N and P(N).
>>

>> P.S.
>>
>> Let
>> D(n,i) = floor(n/2^i) mod 2, for all i=0,1,2,3,...
>> This is the i-th binary digit of natural n
>> L(n) = i where D(n,i) = 1 and D(n,j) = 0 for all j > i
>> This is the number of binary digits of natural n, or ceil(log2(n))
>> Let
>> M(n) = sum{i=0 to L(n)} 1/2^(i+1) where D(n,i) = 1
>> This reverses the binary digits of n.
>>
>> Then M(n) is a mapping N -> N, from all n in N to M(n) in N,
>> but the set of all M(n) is not a well-ordered set.
>> Happy?

> Sad!
> First of all you don't argue on my claim of the thread.
> Second, your above argueing is not clear to me, since both sets are
> well-ordered. But it's nice, so I give this:

> {1},{2},{3}, ...
> N/{1},N/{2},N/{3}, ...
> {1,2},{1,3},{2,3},{1,4},...
> N/{1,2}, ...

Is this supposed to be a list? My reading
of this is that your list is:

N,
{1},
{2},
{3},
N/{1},

Right here we have a problem. What is the element
before N/{1} in your "list"? There is no end to the
list
{1}, {2}, {3}, ...
so you cannot put N/{1} after the end of that list.
Remember each element in a list must be indexed
by a natural number.

> Now count in diagonal sequence. You may think of Cantor's first
> diagonal proof.

What diagonal?

> Which subset of N is not included?

N/{1} for one. What is the index of N/{1} in your
"list" above? The index of N is 0. The index of {1}
is 1. The index of {2} is 2. What is the index
of N/{1}?

Also your "enumeration" above only includes finite
sets, or sets whose complement with respect to N is finite.
That excludes an awful lot of sets. In fact it excludes
"most" of them. For example, where is the set of primes going
to show up?

Stephen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: math
Next: The proof of mass vector.