From: Mr. X. on
Hello.
I want to create a new class (VB 2008).

What I did :
add new class.
and wrote :

Public Class MenuButton
Inherits Panel

The code isn't compiled :
Error 1 Base class 'System.Windows.Forms.Panel' specified for class
'MenuButton' cannot be different from the base class
'System.Windows.Forms.UserControl' of one of its other partial types.

I need little sample code, so I can go on ..., please.

Thanks :)

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 19.03.2010 11:54, schrieb Mr. X.:
> Hello.
> I want to create a new class (VB 2008).
>
> What I did :
> add new class.
> and wrote :
>
> Public Class MenuButton
> Inherits Panel
>
> The code isn't compiled :
> Error 1 Base class 'System.Windows.Forms.Panel' specified for class
> 'MenuButton' cannot be different from the base class
> 'System.Windows.Forms.UserControl' of one of its other partial types.
>
> I need little sample code, so I can go on ..., please.
>
> Thanks :)

You've (also) created a UserControl with the name "MenuButton", didn't you?

--
Armin
From: Mr. X. on
Sorry.
What I did : add new item - > user control.
On the new class/control (menuButton.vb) I wrote :
Public Class MenuButton
Inherits Panel

That's all.

Thanks :)

From: Family Tree Mike on

"Mr. X." wrote:

> Sorry.
> What I did : add new item - > user control.
> On the new class/control (menuButton.vb) I wrote :
> Public Class MenuButton
> Inherits Panel
>
> That's all.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> "Armin Zingler" <az.nospam(a)freenet.de> wrote in message
> > Am 19.03.2010 11:54, schrieb Mr. X.:
> >> Hello.
> >> I want to create a new class (VB 2008).
> >>
> >> What I did :
> >> add new class.
> >> and wrote :
> >>
> >> Public Class MenuButton
> >> Inherits Panel
> >>
> >> The code isn't compiled :
> >> Error 1 Base class 'System.Windows.Forms.Panel' specified for class
> >> 'MenuButton' cannot be different from the base class
> >> 'System.Windows.Forms.UserControl' of one of its other partial types.
> >>
> >> I need little sample code, so I can go on ..., please.
> >>
> >> Thanks :)
> >
> > You've (also) created a UserControl with the name "MenuButton", didn't
> > you?
> >

> > --
> > Armin
>
> .

In the solution explorer, there is a button that says "Show All Files" when
you hover over it. Your user control has a second .designer file that is
associated with your code file. You changed the inheritance in one file, but
not the other, thus the confusion.

It is actually a lot easier in the long run to not do what you did. You
should just add a class as normal, so you don't get the designer file. Then
you don't run into this issue when you add the inherit statement.

Mike
From: Armin Zingler on
Am 19.03.2010 12:42, schrieb Mr. X.:
> Sorry.
> What I did : add new item - > user control.
> On the new class/control (menuButton.vb) I wrote :
> Public Class MenuButton
> Inherits Panel
>
> That's all.

Do you want to derive your class from Usercontrol or from Panel?

If you've created a Usercontrol as you've desribed, you can
not inherit from Panel.

If you want to inherit from Panel, you must not create a Usercontrol
as described. Instead just add a new class (add new item -> class).

--
Armin