From: kamran on
I installed the X64 bit Enterprise 2007 OS <important update> which then
required a reboot of the system. The installation was successful however
exchange server 2007 would not start up. Apparently the exchnage database is
not able to mount and has <could not read page 117 in the database> so the
service would not start. I do have a backup!! I have heard that 2007 exchnage
has strong recovery utility that can recover the database. Is that True and
how do I do that. I want to use the Restore as the last resort if I can
recover. does anyone know how??
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
You do have a backup or do not? You can run ESEUTIL to attempt to repair
the database, but you must understand that you will most likely lose data
and possibly a lot of data. The alternative is to restore from backup if
you have one.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Also, since you're running Enterprise, regardless of which recovery method
you use, you should create a new storage group and mailbox store, move all
mailboxes to it, and then delete the old database and log files. You don't
want to rely on a repaired or restored database for long.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:13:01 -0700, kamran
<kamran(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed the X64 bit Enterprise 2007 OS <important update> which then
>required a reboot of the system. The installation was successful however
>exchange server 2007 would not start up. Apparently the exchnage database is
>not able to mount and has <could not read page 117 in the database> so the
>service would not start. I do have a backup!!

Then I'd use it to recover from this problem. Not being able to read
from the database is usually related to hardware problems.

The last backup you made was able to read the database page so
whatever it is that's wrong happened between that last backup and your
restart of Exchange.

>I have heard that 2007 exchnage
>has strong recovery utility that can recover the database.

It does, but it depends on being able to read the database.

>Is that True and
>how do I do that.

It happens every time you mount a database.

>I want to use the Restore as the last resort if I can
>recover. does anyone know how??

Actually, your 'last resort' is to /repair/ the database. Ed's already
given you a warning about doing that. Use the backup to restore the
database to full functionality.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP