From: om on
Hi,

I am having a bounced email problem with our email users. Their sent
message got bounced back once a while and a re-send will always work. I
looked at the smtp log of our Exchange 2003 server and nothing seems to
be obvious. The following is one of the smtp error

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email
server. Please contact your system administrator.
<server.ourdomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.>

Can someone advice how I can troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:37:38 -0700, om <ngkeith(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am having a bounced email problem with our email users. Their sent
>message got bounced back once a while and a re-send will always work. I
>looked at the smtp log of our Exchange 2003 server and nothing seems to
>be obvious. The following is one of the smtp error
>
> There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email
>server. Please contact your system administrator.
> <server.ourdomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.>
>
>Can someone advice how I can troubleshoot this problem?

Assuming that the same server was contacted on both attempts to
deliver the email, I'd start by 1) verifying that the identical
address was used in both cases (your SMTP protocol log should be used
for this -- don't trust the sender to verify the data), and 2) if the
same server rejected the identical address once and accepted it a
second time, you should contact the admin of the receiving system and
have them verify that the address they rejected is the one you sent.

I've seen this happen when the domain has mukltiple MX records and the
preferred MX is busy. The secondary MX may be the one that's sending
the 550.

IOW, it may not be you that has the problem
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:27:19 -0700, OM <om(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thanks
>
>But the problem is that address rejected is one of the most common
>error. Sometimes the error could be one of the below too. Again, a
>resend will just work.
>
>relay not permitted
>no such domain in this location
>unknown host or domain
>requested action not taken
>
>Someone was telling me that it could be related to the DNS. But I am not
>sure if that is the case.

All of those are telling you that the server you're sending the email
to is the wrong machine. It could be a DNS thing, or it could be badly
configured MX records, DNS not returning MX records (and your server
is trying to deliver to the "A" record for the domain), or MTAs that
are hosed.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP