From: smlunatick on
On Apr 20, 6:17 pm, mayfriday <mayfri...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Using win xp and we accidently moved the internet explorer icon that is on
> the task bar (quick launch) and how do we get it back to the task bar? We
> tried to create a short cut of the IE8 and drag into the task bar area but it
> would not allow us to drag into the task bar. Thanks for your help.

Right click on the TaskBar

Uncheck "Lock the TaskBar"

Create the IE 8 shortcut on the Desktop

Drag it to the TaskBar

Right click on the TaskBar

Check on "Lock the TaskBar"

and the icon shold be "back."
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:17:02 -0700, mayfriday
<mayfriday(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Using win xp and we accidently moved the internet explorer icon that is on
> the task bar (quick launch)

Please note that the Quick Launch Bar is *not* the Task Bar. It is not
even *part* of the Task Bar.

The Quick Launch Bar is a separate tool bar. By default it resides
*on* the Task Bar, but it doesn't have to. You can drag it off the
Task Bar and dock it on another side of the screen/

> and how do we get it back to the task bar?

You can not put it on the Task Bar. If you are trying to, that's what
the problem is.

If you are trying to put it on the Quick Launch Bar, the problem is
very likely that the Task Bar (and whatever is on it) is locked.
Right-click a blank part of it and uncheck "Lock the Task Bar."

We
> tried to create a short cut of the IE8 and drag into the task bar area but it
> would not allow us to drag into the task bar. Thanks for your help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: PaulM on
Go and download this script, AddIEIcon . This script will add the IE icon
back to the desktop, then you can drag it to the Quick Launch bar.

Download the script here:

http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14

--
Paul's XP and Vista Help