From: Horst Heinrich Dittgens on
I want to write a usercontrol which shows RTF formated text with embedded
information like links in a HTML code, where the existence of information
can be noticed and extracted by/when moving the mouse over the indicating
text, just as links in HTML work. For some reasons I don't want to have a
HTML control neither published by MS nor by a third party.

Does there already exist a sample code how to format hidden text and to
retrieve it? I only found one example which hold a separete list of
positions but couldn't maintain the positions when text was changed or
inserted.

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Horst Heinrich Dittgens" <hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I want to write a usercontrol which shows RTF formated text with embedded
>information like links in a HTML code, where the existence of information can
>be noticed and extracted by/when moving the mouse over the indicating text,
>just as links in HTML work. For some reasons I don't want to have a HTML
>control neither published by MS nor by a third party.
>
> Does there already exist a sample code how to format hidden text and to
> retrieve it? I only found one example which hold a separete list of positions
> but couldn't maintain the positions when text was changed or inserted.

Did you try with Word?
In the german Word version: Einf�gen / Textmarke ...
Save it as RTF and open it with Notepad.
Don't know how Word does store those markers and if you can use it for
your purpose.

Helmut.

From: Mayayana on
You'll find all sorts of links in terms of the code
if you search for: richedit url

The other thing you need is an API-drawn RichEdit.
The OCX control for VB is R.E. v. 1. URL recognition
starts with R.E. v. 2. Once you get out of the VB
RTB control limitations you can generally depend
on at least R.E. v. 3 functionality being available
on target machines.

I have a sample of a UserControl I use myself here:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php5

If you use a UC you can customize the WindowProc
function to add your own custom events, like maybe
"OnURLHover". You can also add your own custom
properties/methods.

If you want something a bit more "pre-digested", I
think Eduardo Morcillo and VBAccelerator both have
R.E. controls that wrap v. 2/3.

See here for an explanation of the versions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787873(VS.85).aspx

Notice that R.E. v. 2 and 3 have the same file name.
Richtx32.ocx is the VB control. It wraps Riched32.dll,
R.E. v. 1. If you create the window yourself you can
load riched20.dll, which is available on all systems.
That gives you v. 2 or 3, whichever is present. As you
can see from the link above, that will almost always
be v. 3. (According to Microsoft's info. Win98 has v. 2,
but I used to use Win98SE and that had v. 3.)

Using the DLL directly means no dependency to ship,
plus a lot more functionality, plus improvements to
functionality made since 1995, plus noticeably faster
operation.

From: Jeff Johnson on
"Horst Heinrich Dittgens" <hhd71(a)sofort-mail.de> wrote in message

>I want to write a usercontrol which shows RTF formated text with embedded
>information like links in a HTML code, where the existence of information
>can be noticed and extracted by/when moving the mouse over the indicating
>text, just as links in HTML work. For some reasons I don't want to have a
>HTML control neither published by MS nor by a third party.
>
> Does there already exist a sample code how to format hidden text and to
> retrieve it? I only found one example which hold a separete list of
> positions but couldn't maintain the positions when text was changed or
> inserted.

I'm pretty sure the \v tag makes things invisible, but the Rich Text Box
might not support it.