From: Chuck Rock on
I have a FreeBSD 4.2 firewall acting as a gateway. I have port forwarded
ldap for external ldap queries to internal AD server.

I need to keep out all unauthorized ldap queries and only allow a single IP
address to communicate to the ldap port.

The problem is, all I add is this line and the ldap queries fail even though
I have no corresponding deny.

ipfw add 105 allow ip from 99.99.99.99 to 12.34.56.78 via fxp0

fxp0 is the outside interface, and 99.99.99.99 is the remote IP requiring
ldap conneciton to the firewall's IP 12.34.56.78

The firewall is open already, so why on earth would my ldap packets be
denied from my remote IP just by adding the above line?

The line used to read
ipfw add 110 allow tcp from 99.99.99.99 to 12.34.56.78 389 via fxp0

And the ldap access still fails.

Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks,
Chuck

From: Michael Ross on
Am 19.02.2007, 20:42 Uhr, schrieb Chuck Rock <carock(a)epconline.com>:

> I have a FreeBSD 4.2 firewall acting as a gateway. I have port forwarded
> ldap for external ldap queries to internal AD server.

quote manpage:
When the packet matches a rule selection parameters, the rules action
field value is executed and the search of the rule set terminates for that
packet.

Maybe your packets are allowed, and not forwareded anymore?

HTH

Michael
From: Chuck Rock on
You the man!

Thanks, I knew that and as soon as I read it, I was hitting my head.

I fixed it with the skipto command.

ipfw add 105 skipto 64000 tcp from 99.99.99.99 to any 389 via fxp0

line 64000 is my divert line.

Thank you very much.

Chuck