From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
<flamebait>
http://james.padolsey.com/javascript/jquery-lint/
</flamebait>

A not so subtle hint that something might be wrong with your library?
From: S.T. on
On 1/18/2010 11:09 AM, Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
> <flamebait>
> http://james.padolsey.com/javascript/jquery-lint/
> </flamebait>

Looks kind of interesting, particularly for newer programmers or those
not familiar with the jQuery API.

> A not so subtle hint that something might be wrong with your library?

That's quite a leap in logic.

From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 18, 2:09 pm, "Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")"
<t...(a)thenewobjective.com> wrote:
> <flamebait>http://james.padolsey.com/javascript/jquery-lint/
> </flamebait>

Definitely flamebait! :-)

> A not so subtle hint that something might be wrong with your library?

It seems to be a tool to help new users learn things like that
although this code is legal:

$("selector").css("color", "red").css("margin", 0);

This would be more efficient:

$("selector").css({color: "red", margin: 0});

That doesn't indicate anything wrong with the library any more than
any lint program indicates problems with its target environment.

-- Scott
From: David Mark on
On Jan 18, 2:09 pm, "Michael Haufe (\"TNO\")"
<t...(a)thenewobjective.com> wrote:
> <flamebait>http://james.padolsey.com/javascript/jquery-lint/
> </flamebait>
>
> A not so subtle hint that something might be wrong with your library?

Well, sort of. It's not so much the Johnny-come-lastly advisor plug-
in, but the fact that it is just another horrible plug-in for an
equally bad pile of JS. Anyone who would use jQuery enough to want to
write a plug-in is not going to be the best candidate to wtite a
browser scripting "lint." I can't see it.

The idea (which is sound) is to warn developers when they are doing
something incorrect (or ill-advised). I haven't looked at the code
for it (and I'm sure I never will). I find I don't have to do that
anymore as the basic rules always apply. :)
From: Scott Sauyet on

As said, the post was definitely flamebait! :-)

> It's as obviously unsuitable as a dissertation written in crayon.

:-)

I met someone who did that. Literally. Or so she claimed. Of course
her paper was on how to creatively integrate art education into pre-
school and Kindergarten programs. It was filled with many colorful
illustrations. Her adviser loved it, and so did most of the
committee. But she did eventually have to submit a more formal
version. So much for creativity!

-- Scott