From: David Mark on
Scott Sauyet wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>
>>> But I am bothered by "The whole reason the (not recommended for GP
>>> use) $ is in there is for tests like these." Having code that you
>>> expect to be used for tests but not for general purposes strikes me as
>>> an uncomfortable sort of pandering to the tests.
>> No, I explained that. The tests were looking for that $ identifier. It
>> isn't any faster or better in any way than using a non-$ identifier
>> (e.g. getEBCS).
>
> That's why I was suggesting hosting with PHP. The configuration file
> has an entries that looks like this:

I can do all of that with ASP. Have you seen my builder/test page?
These things are toys by comparison. :)

> [MooTools 1.2.4]
> file = "mootools-yui-compressed.js"
> function = "$$"
>
> [My Library]
> file = "mylib-min.js"
> function = "API.getEBCS"

Yes, but I don't feel compelled to do anything more to these test pages.
The static pages are fine, save for that one I forgot to update (thanks
for the heads up on that).

> Throwing the library scripts into the frameworks directory, updating
> this configuration file, and, if you want, changing the list of
> selectors, is all that you need to do to have your own version
> running. The tool doesn't need "$". Dojo uses "dojo.query"; YUI uses
> "Y.all". So long as the framework has a function that accepts a
> string selector and evaluates it as a CSS selector in the context of
> the document, it should work.

Still, some people actually want to use "$", so I make it available. I
am aware that the tests can be changed to use something else, but I am
tired of fiddling with them. Have you noticed that TaskSpeed's page is
just a sloppy copy of SlickSpeed? The origin cell even says
"selectors". :)
From: Stefan Weiss on
On 18/02/10 22:49, David Mark wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>> That's why I was suggesting hosting with PHP. The configuration file
>> has an entries that looks like this:
[...]
> > I can do all of that with ASP. Have you seen my builder/test page?
> These things are toys by comparison. :)

About that - are you planning on open-sourcing the builder? If not, how
do you suggest that the users of your library will build TheirLibrary
when you've lost interest?
Come to think of it, you'd need to open your actual source as well.

--
stefan
From: David Mark on
Stefan Weiss wrote:
> On 18/02/10 22:49, David Mark wrote:
>> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>>> That's why I was suggesting hosting with PHP. The configuration file
>>> has an entries that looks like this:
> [...]
>>> I can do all of that with ASP. Have you seen my builder/test page?
>> These things are toys by comparison. :)
>
> About that - are you planning on open-sourcing the builder?

Not at this time.

> If not, how
> do you suggest that the users of your library will build TheirLibrary
> when you've lost interest?

I don't plan to lose interest any time soon and certainly won't take the
app down if I do (more likely I would turn it over to somebody else).
Granted, I have let the source in the builder get stale over the past
few weeks (and it has been a very busy few weeks as far as changes and
additions go). I will definitely rectify that shortly. Perhaps as soon
as tomorrow.

> Come to think of it, you'd need to open your actual source as well.

The thing is that the source is dynamically generated. So you can
download the full build and change it around, but any changes that are
to be implemented in the builder (and propagated to the files on the
Downloads page) will have to go through me (which I think makes sense
anyway). It will likely never be open in the sense of allowing anyone
to change anything at any time (at least not on my watch).
From: Sam Doyle on
It seems like the whole internet vs you! Every blog I seem to visit
lately wants to have a dig at you! Would I be offending you if I
asked... Maybe there right and your wrong? The numbers are most
definately against you!
From: David Mark on
Sam Doyle wrote:
> It seems like the whole internet vs you! Every blog I seem to visit
> lately wants to have a dig at you! Would I be offending you if I
> asked... Maybe there right and your wrong? The numbers are most
> definately against you!

Right about what?