From: Ivan S on
On 15 velj, 18:00, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot confirm this.  I just upgraded to FF 3.6 and I'm not seeing
> that.

Ok, thanks to you I found what's causing that. It's Firefox add-on
called Adblock Plus (based on method of elimination).

> But this is pretty strange behavior, especially after you had issues in Opera, too.

Well ... hate to say, but I still have them. :)

My Opera is fresh instalation (I don't use it except for testing), so
I don't know why is this happening (expecially because it happens
randomly).

See it for yourself:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6230/opera1e.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6645/opera2.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2237/opera3j.jpg

> I'm starting to wonder if your CPU forgot how to count!  :-)

:)
From: David Mark on
Scott Sauyet wrote:
> On Feb 14, 7:23 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Scott Sauyet wrote:
>>> Based on the SlickSpeed tests John-David Dalton recently demonstrated,
>>> I've created my own new version of SlickSpeed.
>> Also, I am not sure why you guys are using API.getEBCS over and over.
>> The extra dot operation is unnecessary. The whole reason the (not
>> recommended for GP use) $ is in there is for tests like these. The
>> extra dot operation on each call just clouds the issue as you would
>> normally use something like this:-
>>
>> var getEBCS = API.getEBCS;
>>
>> ...at the start. The API is not made up of methods in the strict sense.
>> The API is simply a "namespace" object containing the supported
>> functions (which vary according to the environment). They are functions
>> that don't refer to - this - at all.
>
> That makes sense, and I'll probably do that in future versions.
> Unfortunately, I will have to add it to the mylib.js file, as I don't
> want to adjust the simple configuration that exists right now, just
> lines like this in a config file:
>
> [MooTools 1.2.4]
> file = "mootools-yui-compressed.js"
> function = "$$"
>
> [My Library]
> file = "mylib-min.js"
> function = "API.getEBCS"
>
> But I am bothered by "The whole reason the (not recommended for GP
> use) $ is in there is for tests like these." Having code that you
> expect to be used for tests but not for general purposes strikes me as
> an uncomfortable sort of pandering to the tests.

No, I explained that. The tests were looking for that $ identifier. It
isn't any faster or better in any way than using a non-$ identifier
(e.g. getEBCS).
From: David Mark on
Ivan S wrote:
> I've noticed an issue in Firefox 3.6
>
> div, p, a 1337 �s 671 found 1387 �s 671 found 2551 �s 671 found 1832
> �s 673 found 1190 �s 673 found 5050 �s 671 found 1256 �s 671 found
>
> Mylib (non-QSA & QSA) found 673 element, while other libraries found
> 671.

Something is definitely wrong there. But I have fixed several CSS
selector related bugs in the last few days, so it may not be an issue
today. I will check though. I guess I should put up an additional test
page with this other document on my site. Clearly it is exposing some
things that the other document and tests are not.

> In Chome 4:
>
> div, p, a 740 �s 671 found 641 �s 671 found 1232 �s 671 found 1761 �s
> 671 found 539 �s 671 found 1092 �s 671 found 594 �s 671 found
>
> Other browser also found 671 element for all libraries.

Does seem odd that FF3.6 would be special.
From: David Mark on
Ivan S wrote:
> On 15 velj, 18:00, Scott Sauyet <scott.sau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I cannot confirm this. I just upgraded to FF 3.6 and I'm not seeing
>> that.
>
> Ok, thanks to you I found what's causing that. It's Firefox add-on
> called Adblock Plus (based on method of elimination).

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible for My Library to botch that
selector. Glad it turned out to be a plug-in interfering.

>> But this is pretty strange behavior, especially after you had issues in Opera, too.
>
> Well ... hate to say, but I still have them. :)

Strange. Opera 10.10 worked swimmingly for me.
From: Scott Sauyet on
David Mark wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:

>> But I am bothered by "The whole reason the (not recommended for GP
>> use) $ is in there is for tests like these."  Having code that you
>> expect to be used for tests but not for general purposes strikes me as
>> an uncomfortable sort of pandering to the tests.
>
> No, I explained that.  The tests were looking for that $ identifier.  It
> isn't any faster or better in any way than using a non-$ identifier
> (e.g. getEBCS).

That's why I was suggesting hosting with PHP. The configuration file
has an entries that looks like this:

[MooTools 1.2.4]
file = "mootools-yui-compressed.js"
function = "$$"

[My Library]
file = "mylib-min.js"
function = "API.getEBCS"

Throwing the library scripts into the frameworks directory, updating
this configuration file, and, if you want, changing the list of
selectors, is all that you need to do to have your own version
running. The tool doesn't need "$". Dojo uses "dojo.query"; YUI uses
"Y.all". So long as the framework has a function that accepts a
string selector and evaluates it as a CSS selector in the context of
the document, it should work.

-- Scott