From: Evertjan. on
Gregor Kofler wrote on 05 jul 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Am 2010-07-05 02:27, RobG meinte:

>>> You are looking for a NodeList.
>>
>> No, a collection.
>
> [details and links snipped]
>
> Thanks for pointing out all the details. Like nick I had assumed that
> nodelists and (HTML)Collections are equivalent (at least "collection"
> and "nodelist" is frequently used synonymously).

Let us be theoretical, and not just reading the specs.

Linguistically a "collection" is something that is collected.

If you collect a number of things into a list where the memebers of that
list can be accessed individually per item() or as an array member [],
it is unreasonable to allow the members of that list to be manipulated,
so you should not be able to delete or alter individual members or add
members to such list [you can alter the DOM, of course], nor perhaps[!]
should you be able to append properties or methods to that collection.

Asking a DOM structure for information with Javascript a logical returned
collection list is a collecion of nodes, a nodelist.

However other collections are possible in Javascript:

-- A list of CSS rules is a collection, but is it a nodelist? I do not
think so.

-- Request.form is a Javascript collection, but not part of the dom or
even the browser, as it is a serverside collection.

Collections in Javascript are never native, I think, in the sense that
they always collect information of the environment and not of Javascript
itself, so they are necessarily implementation dependent, and thy cannot
be defined or constructed by Javascript script code as you can an array
or an object, they can only be collected.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: RobG on
On Jul 5, 6:14 pm, Gregor Kofler <use...(a)gregorkofler.com> wrote:
[...]
> (BTW: Your sig-seperator lacks a space.)

Yes, Google Groups trims it on posting. Unfortunately I only have
infrequent access to a news server so can't use a news reader to
ensure a proper signature.

--
Rob
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <444b610d-9a18-4156-90d7-f863628c2542(a)m3
5g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:44:11, RobG
<rgqld(a)iinet.net.au> posted:

>Yes, Google Groups trims it on posting. Unfortunately I only have
>infrequent access to a news server so can't use a news reader to
>ensure a proper signature.

If you have a newsreader and Internet access, and are not obstructed by
something vaguely like a firewall, then you can access Usenet with one
or more of the several (at least) free News servers, for example :

The first two, at lease, appear to carry C.L.J.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Grandson-Of-RFC1036 is released. RFC 5536 Netnews Article Format is a
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-07-06 09:41 AM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<444b610d-9a18-4156-90d7-f863628c2542(a)m3
> 5g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:44:11, RobG
> <rgqld(a)iinet.net.au> posted:
>

>> Yes, Google Groups trims it on posting. Unfortunately I only have
>> infrequent access to a news server so can't use a news reader to
>> ensure a proper signature.
>
> If you have a newsreader and Internet access, and are not obstructed by
> something vaguely like a firewall, then you can access Usenet with one
> or more of the several (at least) free News servers, for example :

> The first two, at lease, appear to carry C.L.J.

Enough people have asked about posting through newsreaders, so it is
worth mentioning in the FAQ. Newsreaders, news servers and their
benefits can be mentioned in a new entry:

"1.3 How can I post to comp.lang.javascript"

It is best to post through a newsreader, such as Thunderbird.

Advantages of newsreaders that are not available in web interfaces
include folders for drafts and sent messages, options for filtering
spam, formatting, and more.

To access c.l.js through a newsreader you need a news server account.
The following news servers are all free:
http://www.eternal-september.org
http://www.aioe.org/
http://news.solani.org/
http://albasani.net/index.html.en

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

It might also be a good idea to mention a few problems with Google
Groups, though perhaps that might best be added to:
<http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/posting/>

--
Garrett
From: RobG on
On Jul 7, 9:48 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-06 09:41 AM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>

> > In comp.lang.javascript message<444b610d-9a18-4156-90d7-f863628c2542(a)m3
> > 5g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:44:11, RobG
> > <rg...(a)iinet.net.au>  posted:
>
> >> Yes, Google Groups trims it on posting. Unfortunately I only have
> >> infrequent access to a news server so can't use a news reader to
> >> ensure a proper signature.
>
> > If you have a newsreader and Internet access, and are not obstructed by
> > something vaguely like a firewall,

Unfortunately I am, so GG is it for now.

> > then you can access Usenet with one
> > or more of the several (at least) free News servers, for example :

> > The first two, at lease, appear to carry C.L.J.

Thanks for those, I've also used news.sunsite.dk

> Enough people have asked about posting through newsreaders, so it is
> worth mentioning in the FAQ. Newsreaders, news servers and their
> benefits can be mentioned in a new entry:
>
> "1.3 How can I post to comp.lang.javascript"
>
> It is best to post through a newsreader, such as Thunderbird.

I have a mostly hate relationship with Thunderbird. It's newsgroup
filtering leaves a lot to be desired - why can't I run a filter on
messages that have already arrived?

Anyhow, I find it pretty useless as a news reader and there aren't any
others worth using on Mac OS. Perhaps I'll switch to a Windows-based
agent.

--
Rob