From: Garrett Smith on
The problems with javascript: psuedo-protocol and its effects in IE are
known to readers of the FAQ and this NG.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#javascriptURI>

A quick recap: Using a javascript URI causes all versions IE to enter
into a navigational state, whereby image swaps may not work, and gif
animations, META refresh, and plugins (movies) will stop. The FAQ has a
demo of this.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/example/jsuri/>

Additionally, I have noticed that the javascript: psueudo-protocol will,
in all versions of IE, prevent unloaded images that are part of the
source document from loading and will also cause an onbeforeunload event
handler to fire.

These things happens in all versions of IE, including IE9.

IE6, 7, 8, and IE9 beta 3 exhibit the problems with gif animations,
images failing to load, META refresh and onbeforeunload.

I've updated the example to add an onbeforeunload. The entry should be
updated to mention that problem as well as replace "Regardless, some
browsers (notably IE6)...", with "Regardless, all versions of IE..."

The problem with javascript: URIs are well-known to regulars of this NG,
yet many sites, including high traffic sites such as Google still use
them. Perhaps they think the problems are only with IE6.

Garrett