From: David Mark on
On Jul 19, 4:34 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> >> Yeah, I did, in reference to the ongoing development on my end.
>
> > Yes.  Seems appropriate.
>
> >> So it's
> >> a cheap shot to present that as qooxdoo being a problem, given that I
> >> was at the same time raving about qooxdoo (and linking to non-rave
> >> experiences with other JS libraries).
>
> > Except that it's been well-established that qooxdoo was the root of
> > your woes.  Your "ravings" notwithstanding.
>
> Well so much for giving people the benefit of the doubt. :)

So much for assuming you can understand reason. :(

> I'll prove you wrong when I have my next release ready and need an
> excuse to post again.

ISTM you are never short of excuses.
From: Kenneth Tilton on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 19, 4:34 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll prove you wrong when I have my next release ready and need an
>> excuse to post again.
>
> ISTM you are never short of excuses.

Don't sell yourself short: you are the wind beneath my spam.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> Tim Streater wrote:

>>> Whatever they may be :-)
>
>> http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/download/jsMath-fonts.html
>> Sposed to be faster/prettier with those installed.
>
> Don't expect everybody to have every possible font installed.
> Whenever a site needs some specific font, it should say so on the front
> page and provide a download link.

Right. I said "Sposed to be" deliberately: looks good and goes fast
without them.

Agreed: adding "link to fonts for serious users" to do list, but I am
working under the assumption that users will not have the fonts installed.

kt

From: Kenneth Tilton on
Bad news: Qooxdoo/Lisp looking better/faster all the time:

http://teamalgebra.com/

1. Registering can be ignored for now. It will be needed to do Missions,
but that's not ready yet. Recovering login does not work yet (forgot to
remove that option).

2. Should load faster. Curious how folks far from US east coast do.

3. If you do register, your info will be stored using AllegroGraph!

4. qooxdoo continues to rock, as does qooxlisp. I could file a bug or
rfe against qooxdoo every four hours, but so far it's superficial stuff
easily worked around at the cost of some UI elegance. (You'll laugh if
you try tabbing through the fields of the registration form.

5. Enjoy. And tell your Algebra teacher friends I am looking for local
schools interested in being guinea pigs.

kt

From: David Mark on
On Jul 20, 5:44 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Bad news: Qooxdoo/Lisp looking better/faster all the time:

Bad news for whom?

>    http://teamalgebra.com/

The initial script it downloads is still over one *million* bytes.
Oddly enough, it seems to go back to the server constantly during user
interaction.

> 1. Registering can be ignored for now.

No worries there. :)

> It will be needed to do Missions,
> but that's not ready yet. Recovering login does not work yet (forgot to
> remove that option).
>
> 2. Should load faster. Curious how folks far from US east coast do.

I'm near there and have a fairly speedy broadband connection, yet it
took several seconds to progress past the white screen stage.

> 3. If you do register, your info will be stored using AllegroGraph!

Great. What the hell is that?

> 4. qooxdoo continues to rock, as does qooxlisp.

Groan. You misspelled suck.

> I could file a bug or
> rfe against qooxdoo every four hours, but so far it's superficial stuff
> easily worked around at the cost of some UI elegance. (You'll laugh if
> you try tabbing through the fields of the registration form.

Or cry perhaps.

> 5. Enjoy. And tell your Algebra teacher friends I am looking for local
> schools interested in being guinea pigs.

If you do, they likely won't remain friends. :(

It's interesting that qooxdoo eschewed the browsers' built-in
scrolling mechanisms and tried to build the same functionality with
script. They failed miserably as I can't scroll by clicking the
mousewheel and then moving the mouse. Furthermore, resizing the
window to the point where the tabs' content overflows does not produce
any scroll bars, so basic usability is ruined. And why? Do you think
those gray-ish scroll bars are more aesthetically pleasing than those
provided by the browsers? I don't. Were you concerned they would
clash with your all-gray color scheme? :)

And do you really think that any of this mess will be accessible to
handicapped students? It's ironic that your overweight application is
all tabs and (fake) form controls. FYI there is nothing to creating a
"tabstrip" widget and real form controls are infinitely preferable to
your washed out looking phonies. Why do you think your keyboard
navigation is such a mess? Zooming in eventually displays some sort
of scrolling interface for the tabs, but not the content. This is
backwards. Widgets should not have any need to respond to changes in
the zoom factor, but the page content should certainly be able to be
scrolled (which it would automatically if you hadn't used an ill-
advised "layout" script instead of HTML).

Also that picture on the "Community" tab (which does nothing) looks
like Big Boy after a crash diet and a week-long bender. He appears to
be pan-handling too. On the "Notebook" tab (also bereft of meaningful
content), he appears to have sobered up and snapped back into his
normal pose, but it seems he lost his giant hamburger. :)

http://melindaschwakhofer.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/bigboy.jpg

I suppose you are trolling for feedback. My message, which you should
pass along to the qooxdoo people is: what's wrong with you?