From: Gordon Sande on
On 2010-05-27 12:29:32 -0300, Rune Allnor <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> said:

> On 27 Mai, 16:36, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>> My
>> handheld unit almost always has me to within 10 meters. And it is
>> quite often better than 5 meters.
>
> Eh... how would you know? What do you use for reference?
>
> Rune

I have heard stories of folks with GPS devices who were driving down
a major highway and the device was telling them to take the next exit
to get off the service road and onto the highway.

Was the map wrong or was the device wrong?

I have had several instances of my GPS getting upset with me for
driving through the farmers field just because the highway was so new
that the map had not yet been updated.

From: Tim Wescott on
On 05/27/2010 08:34 AM, Gordon Sande wrote:
> On 2010-05-27 12:29:32 -0300, Rune Allnor <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> said:
>
>> On 27 Mai, 16:36, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>>> My
>>> handheld unit almost always has me to within 10 meters. And it is
>>> quite often better than 5 meters.
>>
>> Eh... how would you know? What do you use for reference?
>>
>> Rune
>
> I have heard stories of folks with GPS devices who were driving down
> a major highway and the device was telling them to take the next exit
> to get off the service road and onto the highway.
>
> Was the map wrong or was the device wrong?
(snip)

It's fairly common for the GPS to indicate that the car has teleported
several meters laterally due to multipath interference. It's a pain to
try to compensate for, because the vehicle trajectory looks very
believable other than being offset.

So it's a tossup, although in the US (and probably Europe) it's rare to
have the government's maps messed up, and most mapmakers go from that,
so if it's the map it's a transcription error.

If the GPS unit paid attention to altitude it'd spend more time advising
you to get a shovel and breathing apparatus, or to come in to a safe
landing, more than anything else.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Clay on
On May 27, 11:29 am, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 27 Mai, 16:36, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>
> >  My
> > handheld unit almost always has me to within 10 meters. And it is
> > quite often better than 5 meters.
>
> Eh... how would you know? What do you use for reference?
>
> Rune

I'm a little wierd. Before I go on hiking trips, I input surveyed
point data from national geographic trail maps and then on the hike I
see how the unit's result compares. I.e., I look at campsite, stream,
trail crossings etc. UTM grids work great for this sort of thing.
Also when I did cell tower work for 2 years, I would also compare my
unit's results with the official surveyed locations for the towers.
Several mountains near me have NGS markers. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._National_Geodetic_Survey
for an example picture. Even the altitudes for the mountains as
indicated by the gps come in amazingly close to the official published
values. For example the top of Half Dome (in Yosemite National Park)
is officially listed at 8842 feet. My unit agreed within 10 feet!

To be sure there are times when the unit is fooled such as when you
are in a canyon and it is picking indirect signals reflecting off of
the canyon walls. This will certainly make your indicated position
vary by quite a bit.

Clay

From: Clay on
On May 27, 11:34 am, Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-27 12:29:32 -0300, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> said:
>
> > On 27 Mai, 16:36, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
> >> My
> >> handheld unit almost always has me to within 10 meters. And it is
> >> quite often better than 5 meters.
>
> > Eh... how would you know? What do you use for reference?
>
> > Rune
>
> I have heard stories of folks with GPS devices who were driving down
> a major highway and the device was telling them to take the next exit
> to get off the service road and onto the highway.
>
> Was the map wrong or was the device wrong?
>
> I have had several instances of my GPS getting upset with me for
> driving through the farmers field just because the highway was so new
> that the map had not yet been updated.

Certainly keeping your maps up to date is important. Garmin usually
offers updated maps yearly. And I've seen where the mapping engine is
unaware of closed, new or moved roads.I've litterally spent 1000s of
hours driving with guidance from gpses.

Clay

From: claudegps on
On 27 Mag, 17:34, Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-27 12:29:32 -0300, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> said:
>
> > On 27 Mai, 16:36, Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
> >> My
> >> handheld unit almost always has me to within 10 meters. And it is
> >> quite often better than 5 meters.
>
> > Eh... how would you know? What do you use for reference?
>
> > Rune
>
> I have heard stories of folks with GPS devices who were driving down
> a major highway and the device was telling them to take the next exit
> to get off the service road and onto the highway.
>
> Was the map wrong or was the device wrong?

Impossible to know. Even if I would bet on the GPS.
GPS receiver may be affected by errors, but also the map cannot be
considered 100% reliable, especially if not frequently updated.

> I have had several instances of my GPS getting upset with me for
> driving through the farmers field just because the highway was so new
> that the map had not yet been updated.

Yes... old maps may lead your navigation system to mistakes because it
also uses map-matching.