From: andreivig on
Hi,

I am currently working on an navigation application for an iPhone device.
The GPS data that I receive is not very accurate and I want to use a kalman
filter. The problem is that I don't really know how to build the kalman
equations for x and y coordinates. What kind of model should I use?

From: Tim Wescott on
On 05/25/2010 07:28 AM, andreivig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently working on an navigation application for an iPhone device.
> The GPS data that I receive is not very accurate and I want to use a kalman
> filter. The problem is that I don't really know how to build the kalman
> equations for x and y coordinates. What kind of model should I use?

Without having some sort of independent measurement or estimate of
motion, there's not much that a Kalman filter can do for you. If you
know the phone isn't moving then the best you can do is also simple:
just average a whole bunch of position readings. If you have no
guarantee that the phone is staying still then you need more data.

Usually this is done with a 6-axis inertial measurement unit (three
accelerometers and three gyros). But you need very accurate devices --
you can spend thousands of dollars on your IMU and still have it be
insufficient for all but specialized uses. Worse, the IMU with
electronics but without batteries occupies at least a dozen cubic
inches, much more than an iPhone, and that's without the considerable
battery pack you'd need to carry it around.

Combining GPS with odometry and a compass may work, but would be awkward.

What resources does the phone give you beyond the GPS? I understand
that there is some inertial measurement going on, but my understanding
is that it is more for gesture recognition, which really doesn't put it
in a class to work for this sort of thing.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: claudegps on
[cut]
> What resources does the phone give you beyond the GPS?  I understand
> that there is some inertial measurement going on, but my understanding
> is that it is more for gesture recognition, which really doesn't put it
> in a class to work for this sort of thing.

There should be just a 3 axis accelerometer, a very cheap/small one.
You can't get much help from that... :)

Best way may be to improve the GPS reception using A-GPS and try have
a good visibility of the sky.
From: Tim Wescott on
On 05/25/2010 09:00 AM, claudegps wrote:
> [cut]
>> What resources does the phone give you beyond the GPS? I understand
>> that there is some inertial measurement going on, but my understanding
>> is that it is more for gesture recognition, which really doesn't put it
>> in a class to work for this sort of thing.
>
> There should be just a 3 axis accelerometer, a very cheap/small one.
> You can't get much help from that... :)
>
> Best way may be to improve the GPS reception using A-GPS and try have
> a good visibility of the sky.

Not just an accelerometer. Where you really need help with the combined
IMU/GPS solution is in the gyro, which has to be good relative to the
speed at which the earth-relative acceleration vector on the IMU and
antenna is changing (i.e. the more jerk there is, and the more different
directions it occurs, the better off you are).

You _could_ get by with a cheap set of gyros, but only if you had a lot
of guaranteed motion of the platform -- and even then a cheap gyro is a
heck of a lot less cheap than a cheap accelerometer!

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: claudegps on
On 25 Mag, 18:10, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
> On 05/25/2010 09:00 AM, claudegps wrote:
>
> > [cut]
> >> What resources does the phone give you beyond the GPS?  I understand
> >> that there is some inertial measurement going on, but my understanding
> >> is that it is more for gesture recognition, which really doesn't put it
> >> in a class to work for this sort of thing.
>
> > There should be just a 3 axis accelerometer, a very cheap/small one.
> > You can't get much help from that...    :)
>
> > Best way may be to improve the GPS reception using A-GPS and try have
> > a good visibility of the sky.
>
> Not just an accelerometer.  Where you really need help with the combined
> IMU/GPS solution is in the gyro, which has to be good relative to the
> speed at which the earth-relative acceleration vector on the IMU and
> antenna is changing (i.e. the more jerk there is, and the more different
> directions it occurs, the better off you are).

I understand. I was referring that the iPhone, as far as I know, does
not have gyro but only the accelerometer.
Not sure about the magnetometer... I think some Nokias have it, but no
gyro around.
Take into account MEMS accelerometer are in 3$ range for 1k pcs...
gyro are at 20$ !! :) (very rough pricing.... just to give an
idea)

> You _could_ get by with a cheap set of gyros, but only if you had a lot
> of guaranteed motion of the platform -- and even then a cheap gyro is a
> heck of a lot less cheap than a cheap accelerometer!

Having a complete set of inertial measurements could certainly help.
I think that if those hardware would be available, then the iPhone SW
(or the GPS sw... wherewere the main KF runs...). should already be
able to do a tightly coupled integration of the data for the best
performance.

PS: sorry if my bad english may lead to misunderstandigs :P