From: Sam Ravnborg on
> in kconfig is preferable.
>
> This patch set introduce "alldefconfig".
> alldefconfig create a configuration with all values set
> to default values.
> This can be usefull when we check if we do have a sane
> set of default values. Rhe config can be inspected
> using menuconfig.
>
> The patches also introduce "savedefconfig" which
> reads the current configuration and save it
> as a minimal configuration.

A funny detail that I used in my testing.

If we create a config based solely on default values like this:

make alldefconfig

then when we later save the minimal config like this:

make savedefconfig

then the resulting defconfig file is empty.
This is as expected because all symbols has default values
so there is no need to save the value of any symbol.

Sam
From: Uwe Kleine-König on
Hi Sam,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:38:08PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> After reading some of the mails about the
> defconfig files I decided to take a look at kconfig.
>
> We already decided to go for a solution where the defconfig
> files contains only the minimal configuration.
> Uwe developed a script to assist but having native support
> in kconfig is preferable.
>
> This patch set introduce "alldefconfig".
> alldefconfig create a configuration with all values set
> to default values.
> This can be usefull when we check if we do have a sane
> set of default values. Rhe config can be inspected
> using menuconfig.
>
> The patches also introduce "savedefconfig" which
> reads the current configuration and save it
> as a minimal configuration.
>
> In my testing I benchmarked it with one
> of the arm defconfings and the final result is
> the same (symbols appear in different order).
I would prefer to have them in the same order. I havn't checked the
details, but I really like getting support for minimal defconfigs done
in kconfig directly.

Thanks
Uwe

--