From: Anonymous on
While updating ports some take a long time to compile and when it
finally comes time to install I need to type password again.
Is there an option to prevent that? Smth like running

$ sudo true

would be enough to update time stamp. They're per tty by default, anyway.

From: Ashish SHUKLA on
Anonymous writes:
> While updating ports some take a long time to compile and when it
> finally comes time to install I need to type password again.
> Is there an option to prevent that? Smth like running

> $ sudo true

How about using `timestamp_timeout` option in sudoers(5) ? OR maybe using
NOPASSWD in sudoers for that specific command ?

HTH
--
Ashish SHUKLA | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116 20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

“If tempted by something that feels "altruistic," examine your motives
and root out that self-deception. Then, if you still want to do it,
wallow in it!” (Robert A. Heinlein, 1973)
From: Anonymous on
ashish(a)FreeBSD.org (Ashish SHUKLA) writes:

> Anonymous writes:
>> While updating ports some take a long time to compile and when it
>> finally comes time to install I need to type password again.
>> Is there an option to prevent that? Smth like running
>
>> $ sudo true
>
> How about using `timestamp_timeout` option in sudoers(5) ? OR maybe using
> NOPASSWD in sudoers for that specific command ?

Looking at sudoers(5) it doesn't seem that I can easily use different
settings per tty. And I'm *satisfied* with default timeout.

Increasing timeout or not using password is more insecure than
preventing timestamp from expiring in an isolated tty (screen/tmux).

From: Doug Barton on
On 08/06/2010 07:27, Anonymous wrote:
> While updating ports some take a long time to compile and when it
> finally comes time to install I need to type password again.
> Is there an option to prevent that? Smth like running
>
> $ sudo true
>
> would be enough to update time stamp. They're per tty by default, anyway.

While I can sympathize with your situation, I think you'd be better off
in this case running your portmaster commands in an actual root shell.

Doug

a domain name makeover! http://SupersetSolutions.com/

-- Pablo Picasso

From: Anonymous on
Doug Barton <dougb(a)FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 08/06/2010 07:27, Anonymous wrote:
>> While updating ports some take a long time to compile and when it
>> finally comes time to install I need to type password again.
>> Is there an option to prevent that? Smth like running
>>
>> $ sudo true
>>
>> would be enough to update time stamp. They're per tty by default, anyway.
>
> While I can sympathize with your situation, I think you'd be better off
> in this case running your portmaster commands in an actual root shell.

Wouldn't periodic hook be useful to smth else besides PM_SU_CMD? Like
sending time passed since current port build started to xterm title.
It may help to guess how long till it completes the build.