From: Martin Kulov [MVP] on
I am having a problem accessing Windows SharePoint Services site. My Internet Explorer crashes and also several, but not all, computers in the office also do.

This is the error in Event Log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 1/19/2007

Time: 11:48:13 PM

User: N/A

Computer: MARTO

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 65 78 ure iex

0018: 70 6c 6f 72 65 2e 65 78 plore.ex

0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39 e 6.0.29

0028: 30 30 2e 32 31 38 30 20 00.2180

0030: 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f in unkno

0038: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 wn 0.0.0

0040: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of

0048: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000

0050: 30 30 30 30 30 0d 0a 00000..

I have traced the exception down to this method:

75C5D34F call COleScript::ExecutePendingScripts (75C5AF3Ch)

And this is the stack trace:

kernel32.dll!_RaiseException(a)16() + 0x52 bytes

OWSSUPP.DLL!35959807()

[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for OWSSUPP.DLL]

MSO.DLL!30cd1abb()

MSO.DLL!30ccf0ed()

OWSSUPP.DLL!359583f6()

OWSSUPP.DLL!35950612()

OWSSUPP.DLL!35947008()

oleaut32.dll!_DispCallFunc(a)32() + 0xc3 bytes

oleaut32.dll!CTypeInfo2::Invoke() + 0x20c bytes

OWSSUPP.DLL!3594a4b0()

jscript.dll!IDispatchInvoke() + 0x6f bytes

jscript.dll!InvokeDispatch() + 0x72 bytes

jscript.dll!VAR::InvokeByName() + 0x14e0b bytes

jscript.dll!VAR::InvokeDispName() + 0x40 bytes

jscript.dll!VAR::InvokeByDispID() + 0x54 bytes

jscript.dll!CScriptRuntime::Run() + 0xfc9 bytes

jscript.dll!ScrFncObj::Call() + 0x6a bytes

jscript.dll!CSession::Execute() + 0xa1 bytes

jscript.dll!COleScript::ExecutePendingScripts() + 0x14d bytes

> jscript.dll!COleScript::ParseScriptTextCore() + 0x1a5 bytes

jscript.dll!COleScript::ParseScriptText() + 0x2b bytes

mshtml.dll!CScriptCollection::ParseScriptText() - 0xa bytes

mshtml.dll!CScriptElement::CommitCode() - 0x3d6 bytes

mshtml.dll!CScriptElement::Execute() + 0x8f bytes

mshtml.dll!CHtmParse::Execute() + 0xc1ec bytes

mshtml.dll!CHtmPost::Broadcast() + 0xd bytes

mshtml.dll!CHtmPost::Exec() + 0x1d313 bytes

mshtml.dll!CHtmPost::Run() - 0x381b bytes

mshtml.dll!PostManExecute() + 0x51 bytes

mshtml.dll!PostManResume() + 0x75 bytes

mshtml.dll!CHtmPost::OnDwnChanCallback() + 0xc bytes

mshtml.dll!CDwnChan::OnMethodCall() + 0x19 bytes

mshtml.dll!GlobalWndOnMethodCall() + 0x66 bytes

mshtml.dll!GlobalWndProc() + 0xe5 bytes

user32.dll!_InternalCallWinProc(a)20() + 0x28 bytes

user32.dll!_UserCallWinProcCheckWow(a)32() + 0xb7 bytes

user32.dll!_DispatchMessageWorker@8() + 0xdc bytes

user32.dll!_DispatchMessageW@4() + 0xf bytes

browseui.dll!TimedDispatchMessage() + 0x33 bytes

browseui.dll!BrowserThreadProc() + 0x336 bytes

browseui.dll!BrowserProtectedThreadProc() + 0x50 bytes

browseui.dll!_SHOpenFolderWindow@4() + 0x22c bytes

shdocvw.dll!_IEWinMain@8() + 0x129 bytes

IEXPLORE.EXE!WinMainT() + 0x2de bytes

IEXPLORE.EXE!__ModuleEntry@0() + 0x99 bytes

kernel32.dll!_BaseProcessStart@4() + 0x23 bytes

I found out that the script that is loaded in ParseScriptTextCore is this one:

<!--

<script language="javascript">

var ExpDatabase = null;

var databaseBtnText = '';

var databaseBtnDesc = '';

var fDBInstalled = false;

try{

ExpDatabase = new ActiveXObject('SharePoint.ExportDatabase');

if (ExpDatabase && ExpDatabase.IsDBProgramInstalled()){

fDBInstalled = true;

databaseBtnText = ExpDatabase.MenuTitle;

databaseBtnDesc = ExpDatabase.MenuDescription;}

} catch(e){}

</script>

//-->

However this script does not crash my IE when it is run isolated from SharePoint site.

I also disabled every BHO in IE, but the browser still crashes on every visit of the WSS site.

Of course, with Mozilla it works.

Any idea how can I get this fixed?

This problem really makes WSS unusable for us.

Thanks,

--
Martin Kulov
http://www.codeattest.com/blogs/martin

MVP, MCT, MCSD, MCPD
From: Luke Zhang [MSFT] on
Hello Martin,

What is the IE's version, IE 6 or IE 7? If it is still IE 6, I recommend
you upgrade to IE 7 to see if this will help. Also, you may try to add the
WSS site to local trusted site to see if this will help.

Additionally, based on my exprience, this kind of issue may be related to
other software/applications installed on the same computer. You may perform
a clean rebbot, disable any other applications running on the same
computer, especially, some firewall or anti-virus software, this may help
on trouble shooting the issue. And, you also may begin with a computer with
a new installation of Windows, will this computer access the WSS site
without the exception? And then, you may continue to install the same
software one by one to see if one of them conflicts with WSS.

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

From: Martin Kulov [MVP] on
"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" <lukezhan(a)online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Martin,
>
> What is the IE's version, IE 6 or IE 7? If it is still IE 6, I recommend
> you upgrade to IE 7 to see if this will help. Also, you may try to add the
> WSS site to local trusted site to see if this will help.
>
> Additionally, based on my exprience, this kind of issue may be related to
> other software/applications installed on the same computer. You may
> perform
> a clean rebbot, disable any other applications running on the same
> computer, especially, some firewall or anti-virus software, this may help
> on trouble shooting the issue. And, you also may begin with a computer
> with
> a new installation of Windows, will this computer access the WSS site
> without the exception? And then, you may continue to install the same
> software one by one to see if one of them conflicts with WSS.

Hi Luke,

I tried to add the WSS site to Trusted sites and I disabled the firewall,
but still the error is reproduced 100%.

Installing IE7.0 is not an option for me and I can not make it a company
policy also just because the WSS site is crashing IE6.0.

Unfortunately I can not spend couple of days trying different machines with
different programs installed until I found which program is causing this
crash.

Can we have someone from the WSS team take a look and give a hint what is
causing the problem?

It is obvious that OWSSUPP.DLL and especially object
SharePoint.ExportDatabase are causing the problem!

Thanks,

From: Luke Zhang [MSFT] on
Hi Martin,

To narrow down the issue in the real environment, we may need to perform
memory dump and analyst it. If the issue really impact your business, I
suggest you may submit a support incident to our PSS department, they will
help you on this (check memory dump and narrow down the issue). You find
related here:

http://support.microsoft.com/

Or you can submit one with your MSDN subscription account:

From: BobC on
I am experiencing the same errors. Generally, clicking on a site list
link can cause the issue. Also, as Martin mentioned, OWSSUPP.DLL
crashes (ie addin dialog displays, then crash), when I try to create a
list via Excel import. Worked once, now crashes every time.

This is a HUGE problem. Please follow up ASAP.

P.S. Is there an issue on connect.Microsoft.com that we can link to?