From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
Any one of you have any idea about Lab data model design. I am trying to
create an efficient datamodel ( with all different normalized tables ) from
scratch.
As of now I have one table with demographic data and another table with
'Tests details', one with instrument details( machine on which test is
performed.
I am planning to develop mid -level model, i.e is not too simple nor too
complicate.

Most of the times I see marketing or sales or Academic data model and had
never come across Lab models, are there any URL's to get a quick view?

Thanks in advance

From: Daniel Pineault on
Lab Data model is a very vague subject. I have made different databases for
different clients in a research environment and they were very, very
different. Perhaps if you explain what you do, what type of research, what
type of data you need to keep track of, we may be able to guide you.
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault
http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
I want to capture all the details about a blood test. Different tests will be
done on the same sample like cholesterol, thyroid, cells count ranges etc
likewise 12 – 15 different tests for the same sample. Sometimes re-testing
will be done for the same sample to confirm the results and a maximum of 5
tests were allowed to a single sample. Planning to capture the machine
details on which the test is performed. Test details table will have sampleid,
date_tested, testno, cho, thy, anemic and the final results. Separate sender
details table. I am not a good data modeler so I have redundant data in my 2
tables as of now and planning to have a normalized tables with a good ER
model.

From: KARL DEWEY on
Maybe something like this --
Patient - FName, LName, DOB, Gender, Ht, LastWT, etc
Sample - SampleID, PatientID, SampleDate, OrderBy, etc
Test - TestID, SampleID, MachineID, TestDate, -- CBC, cholesterol,
thyroid, Hemaglobin, etc
TestID, ResultID -1 - White count
TestID, ResultID -2 - Red count
TestID, ResultID -3 - Platlet
TestID, ResultID -4 -

These table are one-to-many. When a test is selected using a combo on form
then event run append query to create records for all results with default
'Not done'.

--
Build a little, test a little.