From: Bas on
On Apr 7, 6:15 am, Patrick Maupin <pmau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I should stop making a habit of responding to myself, BUT.  This isn't
> quite an acre in square feet.  I just saw the 43xxx and assumed it
> was, and then realized it couldn't be, because it wasn't divisible by
> 10.  (I used to measure land with my grandfather with a 66 foot long
> chain, and learned at an early age that an acre was 1 chain by 10
> chains, or 66 * 66 * 10 = 43560 sqft.)
> That's an exact number, and 208 is a poor approximation of its square
> root.

There is no need to remember those numbers for the imperially
challenged people:

In [1]: import scipy.constants as c

In [2]: def acre2sqft(a):
...: return a * c.acre / (c.foot * c.foot)
...:

In [3]: acre2sqft(1)
Out[3]: 43560.0

Cheers,
Bas
From: monkeys paw on
On 4/9/2010 3:43 AM, Bas wrote:
> On Apr 7, 6:15 am, Patrick Maupin<pmau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I should stop making a habit of responding to myself, BUT. This isn't
>> quite an acre in square feet. I just saw the 43xxx and assumed it
>> was, and then realized it couldn't be, because it wasn't divisible by
>> 10. (I used to measure land with my grandfather with a 66 foot long
>> chain, and learned at an early age that an acre was 1 chain by 10
>> chains, or 66 * 66 * 10 = 43560 sqft.)
>> That's an exact number, and 208 is a poor approximation of its square
>> root.
>
> There is no need to remember those numbers for the imperially
> challenged people:
>
> In [1]: import scipy.constants as c

scipy.constants ??

doesn't work for me.

From: Patrick Maupin on
On Apr 9, 1:22 pm, monkeys paw <mon...(a)joemoney.net> wrote:
> On 4/9/2010 3:43 AM, Bas wrote:
>
> > On Apr 7, 6:15 am, Patrick Maupin<pmau...(a)gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> I should stop making a habit of responding to myself, BUT.  This isn't
> >> quite an acre in square feet.  I just saw the 43xxx and assumed it
> >> was, and then realized it couldn't be, because it wasn't divisible by
> >> 10.  (I used to measure land with my grandfather with a 66 foot long
> >> chain, and learned at an early age that an acre was 1 chain by 10
> >> chains, or 66 * 66 * 10 = 43560 sqft.)
> >> That's an exact number, and 208 is a poor approximation of its square
> >> root.
>
> > There is no need to remember those numbers for the imperially
> > challenged people:
>
> > In [1]: import scipy.constants as c
>
> scipy.constants ??
>
> doesn't work for me.
>

> > In [2]: def acre2sqft(a):
> >     ...:     return a * c.acre / (c.foot * c.foot)
> >     ...:
>
> > In [3]: acre2sqft(1)
> > Out[3]: 43560.0
>
> > Cheers,
> > Bas

Basically, he's saying that, instead of remembering the very simple
"66" and "10" values, you can download and install a multi-megabyte
gzipped tar file for the scipy project. ;-)

(Of course, you get a few nice functions thrown in for free along with
your constants, but downloading scipy for its constants is like
choosing a sports car for its cupholders.)
From: monkeys paw on
On 4/9/2010 2:40 PM, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On Apr 9, 1:22 pm, monkeys paw<mon...(a)joemoney.net> wrote:

>>> There is no need to remember those numbers for the imperially
>>> challenged people:
>>
>>> In [1]: import scipy.constants as c
>>
>> scipy.constants ??
>>
>> doesn't work for me.
>>

>>> In [2]: def acre2sqft(a):
>>> ...: return a * c.acre / (c.foot * c.foot)
>>> ...:
>>
>>> In [3]: acre2sqft(1)
>>> Out[3]: 43560.0
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bas
>>

> Basically, he's saying that, instead of remembering the very simple
> "66" and "10" values, you can download and install a multi-megabyte
> gzipped tar file for the scipy project. ;-)
>
> (Of course, you get a few nice functions thrown in for free along with
> your constants, but downloading scipy for its constants is like
> choosing a sports car for its cupholders.)

yea, the 66 foot chain story is a good one, i cant forget that.
Appreciate the help, i just looked up the SciPY Project download,
it is 40 MB. I'm gonna check it out none the less...
From: Albert van der Horst on
In article <3790faeb-ae4c-4b45-b0a6-41cb32e46e41(a)k13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Patrick Maupin <pmaupin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 6, 11:10=A0pm, Patrick Maupin <pmau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Not sure why you are returning a lambda (which is just a function that
>> > does not have a name) from an outer function.
>>
>> > A function that does this multiplication would simply be:
>>
>> > def s(n):
>> > =A0 =A0 return 208.0 * 208.0 * n
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > Pat
>>
>> I realized I didn't show the use. =A0A bit different than what you were
>> doing:

>> ... =A0 =A0 return 208.0 * 208.0 * n
>> ...>>> s(1)
>> 43264.0
>> 21632.0
>>
>> 129792.0
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "acre meter" though; this
>> returns the number of square feet in 'n' acres.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pat
>
>I should stop making a habit of responding to myself, BUT. This isn't
>quite an acre in square feet. I just saw the 43xxx and assumed it
>was, and then realized it couldn't be, because it wasn't divisible by
>10. (I used to measure land with my grandfather with a 66 foot long
>chain, and learned at an early age that an acre was 1 chain by 10
>chains, or 66 * 66 * 10 =3D 43560 sqft.)
>That's an exact number, and 208 is a poor approximation of its square
>root.

208 = 2^6 * 13^2

66 = 2 * 3 * 11

Now I understand why the state of Wisconsin wants to drop out of
the USA and join the EU ;-)

>Regards,
>Pat

Groetjes Albert