From: polymod on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> The killer robot kitekrazy <kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > I would never run Sonar on a laptop if it involves using softsynths.
> > Sonar is not resource friendly. I'd run Reaper.
>
> I did a test song on my 900Mhz Celeron based Eee PC 701 using Reaper, and
> was able to run EZ-Drummer, and three amp sims on bass and two guitars. I
> never thought that machine would be up for anything more than a single
shot
> stereo track.

That's mighty impressive!

Poly

From: Phoenix on
Are these desktop Eee PCs or netbooks?

From: kitekrazy on
On 2/16/2010 11:21 PM, Phoenix wrote:
> Good to know. I think most off-the-shelf laptops I've seen use Ricoh.
> Been a while since I looked, though. Which brands use VIA?
>
> "kitekrazy" <kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> wrote in message
>> On 2/16/2010 6:44 PM, Phoenix wrote:
>>
>>> I know, of course, that using my firewire interface might be problematic
>>> with a laptop since none of the new ones have TI chipsets (except for
>>> the custom ones). But I also have my old M-Audio Ozone; tried the new
>>> drivers out with Win 7 RC. I was surprised to find that not only did
>>> Sonar see the Ozone as 24-bit capable (finally) but I was able to get
>>> down to 64 samples, which I never had before.
>>
>> I've never had a problem running FW 410, Presonus 1394 with VIA chipsets.

VIA is often associated with AMD. I would imagine it's getting more
difficult to find FW in a laptop. Even Mac is leaving it out of their
units. Some FW audio devices will not work with a 4 pin unless you use
external power.

I wonder if that new Cakewalk Roland V-700 might be better for portable
recording than a laptop.
From: Phoenix on
Bingo. None of the laptops I looked at had FW. Granted, I only looked at the
ones that didn't show huge DPC spikes.
So the question is, what chipset is the cardbus controller? Hm, that's
something I forgot to check in Device Manager on the two laptops that showed
any promise...well, I have to look further anyway. So far the only laptops I
figure I have a chance of getting the DPC latency down near my desktop's are
an HP core i5 and a Sony core i7 (but that's borderline cos it has a 5400RPM
drive, and for $1349 I think they ought to have sprung for a 7200.
Further perusal of the ADK laptop specs reveals wired and wifi networking
comes with, so it follows that I could use an ADK for internet when
necessary.They come with TI FW cards with whatever cardbus chipset gets
along with the TI stuff. So I could use my FW interface.
As I said before, if I could find a bargain laptop with latency I could live
with, I'd get it, but so far I haven't, and if I have to spend $1000 or over
the prices get closer to the custom ones, so the only advantage of buying at
the store would be financing--and the disadvantage would be having to
de-crapify the laptop once I got it, and maybe parts not as good as custom
(ie. slower memory).
The search goes on....
::sigh:: too bad a netbook wouldn't cut it. Actually the latency wasn't too
bad but 1GB RAM is definitely not enough for my musical needs.
Just got my mom an eMachines desktop, though. For the hell of it, I checked
the latency. Not bad right out of the box, hovering around 200. Now if
they'd make a laptop with the same price and latency...