From: bh0139 on
My laptop failed to power up . The green light at the power adapter is
flickering. Is this a motherboard problem? If so, where do I get a repairer
to rectify the fault. As the model is quite old (5 yrs old) , I do not
intend to spend too much money on repair. Please advise.

Darren

From: Barry Watzman on
Almost certainly a bad motherboard (the motherboard has a switching
power supply on it which is the likely source of the problem). If you
can't replace the motherboard yourself, just sell the unit on E-Bay for
parts. If you can repair it yourself, look for a motherboard or a unit
with a good motherboard on E-Bay. The cost of a "new" motherboard would
probably be over $300. The cost of having a repair shop change the
motherboard is likely over $100. This type of repair can probably only
be done economically if you can do it yourself, but if you can, you can
likely find a replacement motherboard (which might be an entire
computer, possibly with a broken LCD) for $50 or less.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hgn4km$cp5$1(a)reader01.singnet.com.sg,
bh0139 typed on Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:32:17 +0800:
> My laptop failed to power up . The green light at the power adapter
> is flickering. Is this a motherboard problem? If so, where do I get
> a repairer to rectify the fault. As the model is quite old (5 yrs
> old) , I do not intend to spend too much money on repair. Please
> advise.

Hi Darren! "The green light at the power adapter is flickering". You
mean the box that has a cord that plugs into the AC and the other end to
the laptop? If so, does it flicker if it is plugged into the AC and not
into the laptop? If true, the AC adapter is bad. Most AC adapters don't
even have a lite on them. So that is nice.

If you mean the power lite on the laptop. Well that could be lots of
things including the AC adapter. If it isn't the AC adapter, then it
means something in the laptop is drawing too much power. The first thing
to try is running it without the main battery. As when they start going
bad, they draw more power which isn't really helping. As it just uses
more current and only creates more heat. Which only makes everything
worse.

I'll stop here until you answer the above. Then we can go from there.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs BillW50 wrote:
> In news:hgn4km$cp5$1(a)reader01.singnet.com.sg,
> bh0139 typed on Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:32:17 +0800:
>> My laptop failed to power up . The green light at the power adapter
>> is flickering. Is this a motherboard problem? If so, where do I get
>> a repairer to rectify the fault. As the model is quite old (5 yrs
>> old) , I do not intend to spend too much money on repair. Please
>> advise.
>
> Hi Darren! "The green light at the power adapter is flickering". You
> mean the box that has a cord that plugs into the AC and the other end
> to the laptop? If so, does it flicker if it is plugged into the AC
> and not into the laptop? If true, the AC adapter is bad. Most AC
> adapters don't even have a lite on them. So that is nice.
>
> If you mean the power lite on the laptop. Well that could be lots of
> things including the AC adapter. If it isn't the AC adapter, then it
> means something in the laptop is drawing too much power. The first
> thing to try is running it without the main battery. As when they
> start going bad, they draw more power which isn't really helping. As
> it just uses more current and only creates more heat. Which only
> makes everything worse.
>
> I'll stop here until you answer the above. Then we can go from there.

It's times like this that my Kerio 'Enery Knight II' power adapter comes in
very handy. The voltage output can be set to anything between 15V DC and 24V
DC by swapping resistor modules and there are over half a dozen different
tips with it so it fits most popular (older) laptops. It's 70W and I find it
very handy. Especially when someone drops off a laptop for me to look at but
forgets the adapter.
--
Shaun.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hgt8be$sum$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
~misfit~ typed on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 03:09:46 +1300:
> It's times like this that my Kerio 'Enery Knight II' power adapter
> comes in very handy. The voltage output can be set to anything
> between 15V DC and 24V DC by swapping resistor modules and there are
> over half a dozen different tips with it so it fits most popular
> (older) laptops. It's 70W and I find it very handy. Especially when
> someone drops off a laptop for me to look at but forgets the adapter.

Yes indeed Shaun, those universal laptop supplies are handy to have
around. As I have a few of them myself. I never ran across one of the
following, but wasn't there a manufacture like Dell or somebody that
used a smart adapter? Thus it would send a signal to the laptop and the
laptop refuses to power up unless it got the right code from the
adapter. I am not sure if this was just a brief practice or not.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: A fit of pique
Next: Compaq Presario Won't Boot