From: Erehwon on
My son's Presario C700 (1.73 GHZ Celeron M with 2 GB ram) running VISTA
appears to have died. It will not boot and the screen just turns a
blue-grey with an inch-and-a-half wide vertical black bar down the middle.
If I plug in an external monitor, I do get a legible screen but a normal
startup just gets through the Compaq startup screen and a black Microsoft
screen with a green block repeatedly cycling across a status bar after which
the screen turns blank. Trying the System Recovery or "repair your
computer" options gets me to a white progress bar showing "windows is
by a blue screen. If I select "safe mode with command prompt" it progresses
though loading a couple of pages of drivers until it loads CRCDISK.SYS at
which point it freezes. Not sure if the screen issue and failure to boot
are related or separate problems.

I've tried removing the battery and reseating the memory as a shot in the
dark but no change. I have no experience with laptops or VISTA and no VISTA
installation disks. Does it sound like there's any likelihood of recovering
this thing or should I just resign myself to having to purchase another one?
If the latter, and since the disk drive appears to at least be reading some
data, can it be plugged in to my desktop to recover what's left of the data?
Most of what he needs was backed up to a USB drive but I'd like to get the
rest if possible.

From: the wharf rat on
In article <hgne6j$13s1$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
Erehwon <invalid(a)address.here> wrote:
>My son's Presario C700 (1.73 GHZ Celeron M with 2 GB ram) running VISTA
>appears to have died. It will not boot and the screen just turns a
>blue-grey with an inch-and-a-half wide vertical black bar down the middle.

Can it boot a cdrom? If you don't have a Windows cd try a Linux
one.

If it boots a cd, chances are just that the Windows installation
is hosed. If it won't you may have a hardware problem.

From: Barry Watzman on
I think your son is not "fessing up" here. From your description, both
the LCD screen and hard drive are damaged in a way that strongly
(STRONGLY) suggests that the laptop was dropped. With likely both a bad
hard drive and a bad LCD, I think that the "fix" is a new laptop, you
can sell the damaged one as-is for parts to offset the cost. Please do
understand that a diagnosis without seeing the "patient", just from a
description of the symptoms, isn't guaranteed to be correct; but that
sure is what this sounds like.

[Yes, you can try plugging the hard drive into another computer to
recover files; it may or may not be successful (the symptoms suggest
that the hard drive is damaged but not dead; MOST files are probably
recoverable). You will need a USB to {SATA or IDE} adapter, about $10-$15.]

From: Barry Watzman on
Did you miss the point that she had LCD screen problems and that all of
the other stuff she described was done with an external monitor? I
think that the laptop was dropped.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hgne6j$13s1$1(a)adenine.netfront.net,
Erehwon typed on Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:12:49 -0600:
> My son's Presario C700 (1.73 GHZ Celeron M with 2 GB ram) running
> VISTA appears to have died. It will not boot and the screen just
> turns a blue-grey with an inch-and-a-half wide vertical black bar
> down the middle. If I plug in an external monitor, I do get a legible
> screen but a normal startup just gets through the Compaq startup
> screen and a black Microsoft screen with a green block repeatedly
> cycling across a status bar after which the screen turns blank. Trying
> the System Recovery or "repair your computer" options gets me
> to a white progress bar showing "windows is loading files" after
> which I again get the above Microsoft screen followed by a blue
> screen. If I select "safe mode with command prompt" it progresses
> though loading a couple of pages of drivers until it loads
> CRCDISK.SYS at which point it freezes. Not sure if the screen issue
> and failure to boot are related or separate problems.
> I've tried removing the battery and reseating the memory as a shot in
> the dark but no change. I have no experience with laptops or VISTA
> and no VISTA installation disks. Does it sound like there's any
> likelihood of recovering this thing or should I just resign myself to
> having to purchase another one? If the latter, and since the disk
> drive appears to at least be reading some data, can it be plugged in
> to my desktop to recover what's left of the data? Most of what he
> needs was backed up to a USB drive but I'd like to get the rest if
> possible.

It sure sounds like the hard drive is bad to me. All of the other
possibilities is a bad motherboard. Unless you can find one cheap, they
are not worth repairing. And if you do find a cheap working motherboard,
that is the hardest service you can do on a laptop. As virtually
everything else has to be removed first.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2