From: Jeremy Allison on
On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 05:53:39AM +0000, Ken Smith wrote:
> Ken Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seeing the following error messages recorded in logwatch against
>> samba in two FC6 XA-64 systems with samba 3.0.24-7.
>>
>> lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn(603) ERROR: string overflow by 1 (24 - 23)
>> in safe_strcpy
>>
>> The main share in use on the first machine is via the guest account with
>> Vista and XP clients, the other has more conventional shares with the
>> Vista PC's as domain members and acl's in use.
>>
>> I've seen some weird behaviour with the Vista clients at the first site.
>> For example a Vista machine can create a folder but can't rename it.
>> Someone using a windows briefcase on their vista pc syncing to the samba
>> share sees very poor performance. nmbd is running and dhcpd is giving wins
>> details to the network. But does Vista take on the Wins info?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Any one got any insight into this??

What might help is to change the code in safe_strcpy_fn
to call smb_panic on this detection, and then to reproduce
the error with the relevent panic action set in smb.conf.

If you get me a backtrace I can see if we've already
fixed this (most string handling code is massively
different in 3.2.x from 3.0.x).

Jeremy.