From: John Drescher on
> Under our file structure, we have /files/all/departments/. We want
> everyone to have access to all the folders under files, but there are
> couple of folders in the departments directory/folder that need to
> limit access to only one person. Is it possible without mapping a new
> drive? Thanks!

The way I prefer to do this is to set proper posix acls.

John
Change the file permissions, either via Windows or with unix "chmod,
chown etc" on the server.. The share perms will not override the file
system permissions.

On 06/29/2010 12:19 PM, c cc wrote:
> Hi,
> Under our file structure, we have /files/all/departments/. We want
> everyone to have access to all the folders under files, but there are
> couple of folders in the departments directory/folder that need to
> limit access to only one person. Is it possible without mapping a new
> drive? Thanks!

> [files]
> comment = files
> # hosts allow =
> path = /files
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mask = 0644
> directory mask = 0755
> available = yes
> guest only = no
> browseable = yes
> only user = no

We do this using msdfs root.

Make /files an msdfs root.
Create separate shares at the same level as /files for the folders that need to be restricted.
Place msdfs links to those shares under departments/.

Helen