From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

> The following contains a "vger.flash" file for direct transfer
> to a 49G -- it's a modified ROM with slightly different (and extra)
> "spreadsheet" and "Geometry" applications:ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-
grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/hp49g.ziphttp://www-fourier.ujf-
grenoble.fr/~parisse/calc/hp49g.zip

I do not know if this file is the so called
"Spreadsheet & Geometry ROM 2.10-7"

But if it is, then please note that this ROM breaks compatibility with
existing software as some of the FlashPtrs have been renumbered.

In other words: Software that works in ROM 2.09 and 2.15 might not
work in this unsupported beta ROM (which is, by the way, not from HP)

So be aware of this if you use it.

Regards,
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/7/2010 2:15 AM, Andreas Möller wrote:

> ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/hp49g.zip
> http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/calc/hp49g.zip
>
> I do not know if this file is the so called
> "Spreadsheet& Geometry ROM 2.10-7"

Yes.

> But if it is, then please note that this ROM breaks compatibility with
> existing software as some of the FlashPtrs have been renumbered.
>
> In other words: Software that works in ROM 2.09 and 2.15 might not
> work in this unsupported beta ROM (which is, by the way, not from HP)
>
> So be aware of this if you use it.

True, but only "very fancy" third-party software might not work with it
(all internal calls within ROM remain consistent,
and the "renumbered" functions are rarely used by other software).

There was once a "supported, legal" component of Unit Objects or functions
whose ROM address actually moved by one byte between HP48 ROMs "M" and "R"
(both of which I possess) -- as far as I'm aware,
I'm the only person who ever mentioned encountering the problem :)

The "Spreadsheet & Geometry ROM 2.10-7" is not from HP -- it's from BP!
(the author of the CAS portion of the entire HP49/50 series);
in return for the renumbered functions,
you get cool stuff made especially for French math teachers :)

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/capes.html

http://www.mofeel.net/677-comp-sys-hp48/7548.aspx

[r->] [OFF]

From: Andreas Möller on
Well John,

thanks for calling my software "fancy". I rather see it as an
enhancement, giving to the user what HP refuses to give...

To be honest, the affected parts lay mainly in the CAS help which has
been programmed in such a hurry that it is shame. Some texts do not
even fit on the screen. But, who cares ?

It would have not been that difficult to keep the numbering of the
FlashPointers *and* adding stuff designed for French teachers. That
way there would have not been *any* compatibility issues.

> The "Spreadsheet & Geometry ROM 2.10-7" is not from HP -- it's from BP!
And it should have not been that difficult to calibrate HP´s ROM with
BP´s ROM, I believe there is telephone, email, snail mails and smoke
signals on both sides of the pond. Napoleon did even use signs for his
communications !

Oh wait, the French talk French and in the U.S. of A. they talk
something like American English (besides some other languages, the
Amish still use some German dialects, however its called Dutch). Maybe
that was the problem ;-)

Great to know that at least we can communicate (sort of).

But as my English teacher used to say: Language is so limited.

Regards,
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de
Home of the Multi Lingual Pack, bringing true translation to the HP
50G (English/Deutsch/Italiano/Español/Français).
Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj72miclisM
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/7/2010 12:23 PM, Andreas Möller wrote:

> thanks for calling my software "fancy"

It's the "fanciest" of all :)

> It would have not been that difficult to keep the numbering of the
> FlashPointers *and* adding stuff designed for French teachers. That
> way there would have not been *any* compatibility issues.

> It should have not been that difficult to calibrate HP´s ROM with
> BP´s ROM, I believe there is telephone, email, snail mails and smoke
> signals on both sides of the pond. Napoleon did even use signs for his
> communications !

Wasn't there at that time a bit of strain between HP management
and independent contractor BP, who heroically kept fixing things anyway,
and perhaps between HP marketing/management and the developers,
to some of whom HP said "sayonara" while preparing to chuck
any further development at all -- not even to release
the already generated "2.10 fixes,"
also contributed by another heroic ex-member of the original team?

Maybe the thing is, not to buy stuff made in such an atmosphere.

Carnation Evaporated Milk (USA product) used to even advertise
that its milk came from "contented cows" -- and I bet that makes
a very significant and real difference.

Speaking of smoke signals, a classic (and horribly un-PC) old cartoon,
thought up during an era of USA above-ground atomic bomb testing,
depicted a "Native American" (of a tribe noted for using smoke signals)
watching a "mushroom cloud" rise over the Nevada desert,
while saying "Gee, I wish I'd said that."

Hopefully no one will ever say that,
although present-day international tensions may cause one to wonder.

Best wishes and happiness.

-[ ]-

From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

> It's the "fanciest" of all :)
Shows what *is* possible with the existing HW and SW platform (which,
of course, could be extended *if* the manufacturer would be interested
in their product).

> Maybe the thing is, not to buy stuff made in such an atmosphere.
Well, HP has been behaving for quite some time now as if they are not
really interested in selling calculators, especially true for the 50G.
One half hearted attempt follows another one. Maybe they just keep
them for a nostalgic reason like they do with their garage...

> Carnation Evaporated Milk (USA product) used to even advertise
> that its milk came from "contented cows" -- and I bet that makes
> a very significant and real difference.
We have "happy" cows here in Germany, too. I do not know if they are
really happy and if their milk is better, but for sure it is more
expensive.
As a side note: There are indeed veterinarian who are recording cow
moos to find out if a cow is happy, hungry, wants to be milked, is
pregnable, etc. It is a research project at TiHo Hannover
(Tierärztliche Hochschule = veterinary university) IIRC.