From: Olive on
Hello,

I have a HP49G in hand (not the latest calculator but anyway...). I
have found a bug with the limit function. I ask the limit of (I use
English name instead of symbols impossible to type in an ascii
keyboard).

sqrt(3x+2)-sqrt(3x+sqrt(x))
x=infinity

The calculator answer
+infinity

while the correct answer is -1/(2*sqrt(3))

If this kind of bug known? Are the corrected in some firmware version?

Olive

From: Virgil on
In article <20100606111057.148d4256(a)pcolivier.chezmoi.net>,
Olive <not0read0765(a)yopmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a HP49G in hand (not the latest calculator but anyway...). I
> have found a bug with the limit function. I ask the limit of (I use
> English name instead of symbols impossible to type in an ascii
> keyboard).
>
> sqrt(3x+2)-sqrt(3x+sqrt(x))
> x=infinity
>
> The calculator answer
> +infinity
>
> while the correct answer is -1/(2*sqrt(3))
>
> If this kind of bug known? Are the corrected in some firmware version?
>
> Olive

My hp50 returns -(sqrt(3)/6) for that limit, which equal to your
-1/(2*sqrt(3))
From: Merciadri Luca on
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/6/2010 2:10 AM, Olive wrote:

> I have a HP49G in hand

What are the results of each of these separate commands:

VERSION (the main ROM version)

VER (the CAS version)

> Are bugs corrected in some firmware version?

It is possible to update a 49G to version 2.09 or 2.10,
with CAS version up to 4.20060919,
using a Windows 49G emulator (Emu48) with one of those ROM versions
on a computer having a serial port
to send its ROM to the real 49G, just as any real 49G
can send its ROM to another 49G over a serial cable.

The following contains a "vger.flash" file for direct transfer
to a 49G -- it's a modified ROM with slightly different (and extra)
"spreadsheet" and "Geometry" applications:
ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/hp49g.zip
http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/calc/hp49g.zip

I don't know whether this file is earlier or later,
only that it is different:
ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/Vger.flash

The above files can be found explained
under "HP49/50 Intera[c]tive Geometry"
at http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/english.html
ou http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/francais.html

[r->] [OFF]
From: Olive on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 21:53:08 -0500
John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> On 6/6/2010 2:10 AM, Olive wrote:
>
> > I have a HP49G in hand
>
> What are the results of each of these separate commands:
>
> VERSION (the main ROM version)

Version HP49-C
Revision #1.18
Copyright HP 20000

> VER (the CAS version)

4.2000031

> > Are bugs corrected in some firmware version?
>
> It is possible to update a 49G to version 2.09 or 2.10,
> with CAS version up to 4.20060919,
> using a Windows 49G emulator (Emu48) with one of those ROM versions
> on a computer having a serial port
> to send its ROM to the real 49G, just as any real 49G
> can send its ROM to another 49G over a serial cable.
>
> The following contains a "vger.flash" file for direct transfer
> to a 49G -- it's a modified ROM with slightly different (and extra)
> "spreadsheet" and "Geometry" applications:
> ftp://ftp-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/xcas/hpcas/hp49g.zip
> http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/calc/hp49g.zip

I have no serial port in my computer for now. But I will try to find
one. I would prefer to saty with an official HP version. Maybe I can
try different firmware in the emulator before.

Olive