From: Jos? on
Hi: I'm trying to link from sql2005 (64-bit) SP1 to sql 7 (32-bit) SP4.
I get the following error:
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql7" returned message
"Unspecified error".
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql7" returned message "The
stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on
the server. Please contact your system administrator.".
Msg 7311, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot obtain the schema rowset "DBSCHEMA_TABLES_INFO" for OLE DB provider
"SQLNCLI" for linked server "sql7". The provider supports the interface, but
returns a failure code when it is used.
How can I get these servers linked?
Regards,

From: Jackie Brophy on
I just ran into a similar problem, but from 64 bit SQL 2005 trying to link
to 32 bit SQL 2000. What I did on the 2000 server was run the instcat.sql
from the latest service pack installation I did on the 2000 server. In my
case it was SP3a. There are instructions to change the last insert statement
to the table to reflect the version of SQL Server (select @@version) that
you are running. In my case it was .977. That fixed my problems.

Jackie