From: Sheth Raxit on
while compiling the program against my library on AIX 5.3, i got this,
not able to understand what it means ? and what i am trying to do
wrong.

how to cope up with this (and why it is giving the error ?)

gcc -Wall main.c -o bin_name -L/libpath/ -lMy_static_lib

ld: 0711-203 SEVERE ERROR: Archive file PATH/libMy_static_lib.a cannot
be processed.
The length of the archive member table (0) is less than 20
or is not consistent with the length of the archive.
collect2: ld returned 12 exit status

--Raxit

From: Gary R. Hook on
Sheth Raxit wrote:

> gcc -Wall main.c -o bin_name -L/libpath/ -lMy_static_lib
>
> ld: 0711-203 SEVERE ERROR: Archive file PATH/libMy_static_lib.a cannot
> be processed.
> The length of the archive member table (0) is less than 20
> or is not consistent with the length of the archive.
> collect2: ld returned 12 exit status
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

A) A tool complains about a file, which leads to the logical next step:
B) Go examine/investigate the file.

What _do_ they teach in schools these days?

Or put another way:
It likely means the archive (libMy_static_lib.a) is corrupt.
Reconstruct the archive using the ar command. If ar doesn't like
it you'll need to start from scratch with the archive members.
From: David J Dachtera on
"Gary R. Hook" wrote:
> [snip]
> What _do_ they teach in schools these days?

WhineBloze.

--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems