From: tom12010 on
Can a SQL Server 2008 server have a linked server that is SQL Server
2008 R2??

We presently use a SQL Server 2008 for reporting which links to a SQL
2005 server that will be replaced by a SQL 2008 R2 server, we need to
link to a SQL Server 2008 R2 database from a SQL 2008 server.

Note: The linked server is only used for selecting and reading data,
not writes or edits/updates.

Thank you, Tom
From: Bob Barrows on
tom12010 wrote:
> Can a SQL Server 2008 server have a linked server that is SQL Server
> 2008 R2??
>
> We presently use a SQL Server 2008 for reporting which links to a SQL
> 2005 server that will be replaced by a SQL 2008 R2 server, we need to
> link to a SQL Server 2008 R2 database from a SQL 2008 server.
>
> Note: The linked server is only used for selecting and reading data,
> not writes or edits/updates.

Why not? You can create a linked server to a database that isn't even
SQL Server.

The version of SQL Server at the other end of the pipe makes no
difference. It's the connecting software (Native Client, ODBC, OLE DB,
etc.) that's the limiting factor.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: tom12010 on
On Aug 4, 2:25 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:

> The version of SQL Server at the other end of the pipe makes no
> difference. It's the connecting software (Native Client, ODBC, OLE DB,
> etc.) that's the limiting factor.

Thank you, do the two above-mentioned versions of SQL Server have
different "Native Client" software??

Thank you, Tom
From: Bob Barrows on
tom12010 wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2:25 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:
>
>> The version of SQL Server at the other end of the pipe makes no
>> difference. It's the connecting software (Native Client, ODBC, OLE
>> DB, etc.) that's the limiting factor.
>
> Thank you, do the two above-mentioned versions of SQL Server have
> different "Native Client" software??

You can still connect to the other database via SQLOLEDB or ODBC if
worse comes to worst. Why don't you try it and see if it works?

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: tom12010 on
On Aug 4, 3:08 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:

> You can still connect to the other database via SQLOLEDB or ODBC if
> worse comes to worst. Why don't you try it and see if it works?

Thank you, we will do/try that. Various reports on a SQL 2008-based
WSS 3.0 SP server need to use a linked server to talk to databases on
another to-be-installed SQL 2008 R2 server and eventually the WSS
server will be superseded by a SharePoint 2010 Foundation server next
year someday, the only reason not to change it now is that SharePoint
2010 anything is not very compatible with Office 2003 stuff.

Thank you, Tom