From: Goran on
Hallo!

We have an old application we are porting using Visual Studio 2008.
Originally developed with VC6.0. It's a mfc-applikation and thus referers to
mfc90.lib.

Together with the old application we've linked mfc42.lib.

Additionally we have linked in a library we don't have the source to. This
lib refers to mfc42.lib.

Question: can we link in both mfc42.lib and mfc90.lib?

Regards
Goran

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
This is a serious problem. The answer is, probably not, but "it depends". If the old
library does not involve CStrings, if it does not use CWnd *, does not allocate MFC
objects the caller is expected to free or free objects the caller creates, then, with a
great deal of luck, maybe. Otherwise, you are in trouble. The library problem has always
been a classic problem when linking like this.
joe

On Mon, 12 May 2008 04:32:01 -0700, Goran <Goran(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hallo!
>
>We have an old application we are porting using Visual Studio 2008.
>Originally developed with VC6.0. It's a mfc-applikation and thus referers to
>mfc90.lib.
>
>Together with the old application we've linked mfc42.lib.
>
>Additionally we have linked in a library we don't have the source to. This
>lib refers to mfc42.lib.
>
>Question: can we link in both mfc42.lib and mfc90.lib?
>
>Regards
>Goran

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com