From: Feroslav on
Hello everybody

1. I am new on linux and i have one pc on which i have installed linux
ubuntu 9.10, and i am trying to connect it to my network on which are
windows 2k, windows xp, mac os9 and mac osX computers(total of 8 computers),
with windows network there is no problem, linux see it and it can acess it,
mac osx computer sees but cant acess it, and mac os9 cant see and cant acess
it!
2. another problem is that two of my printers are on appletalk network and
cant be accesed through linux, but other three which are on windows network
work and print normally.
3. how do i get other computers to acess and see linux pc both (mac and
windows)

Thanks

From: J.O. Aho on
Feroslav wrote:

> 2. another problem is that two of my printers are on appletalk network and
> cant be accesed through linux, but other three which are on windows network
> work and print normally.

You need to install netatalk, I suggest you take a look at the halp page at
ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppleTalk

> 3. how do i get other computers to acess and see linux pc both (mac and
> windows)

I assume you want to use that slow and insecure samba which microsoft uses by
default:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

--

//Aho
From: jch on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Feroslav wrote:
>
>> 2. another problem is that two of my printers are on appletalk
>> network and cant be accesed through linux, but other three which are
>> on windows network work and print normally.
>
> You need to install netatalk, I suggest you take a look at the halp
> page at ubuntu:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppleTalk
>
>> 3. how do i get other computers to acess and see linux pc both (mac
>> and windows)
>
> I assume you want to use that slow and insecure samba which microsoft
> uses by default:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

You seem down on samba. Is there something else you recommend?

From: J.O. Aho on
Feroslav wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Feroslav wrote:
>>
>>> 2. another problem is that two of my printers are on appletalk
>>> network and cant be accesed through linux, but other three which are
>>> on windows network work and print normally.
>>
>> You need to install netatalk, I suggest you take a look at the halp
>> page at ubuntu:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppleTalk
>>
>>> 3. how do i get other computers to acess and see linux pc both (mac
>>> and windows)
>>
>> I assume you want to use that slow and insecure samba which microsoft
>> uses by default:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
>
> You seem down on samba. Is there something else you recommend?

It depends much on what kind of machines you have in your network and how you
use the shares.

I do use NFS, this usually rules out all ms-machines, as ms did drop the nfs
support (an own application), but should be somewhere at their pages for free
download (but not sure if it works with newer versions of ms).
If you go for NFS, I recommend that the NFS server will be using filesystems
like JFS, XFS, ReiserFS (there are problems with ext3/4 which you will notice
if you do deletes on big files).

If you would had a Linux only environment, pohmelfs could be worth testing.

--

//Aho