From: Massimo Nuvoli on
donovan jeffrey j ha scritto:

> On Feb 16, 2010, at 8:09 AM, aa wrote:
>
>> Someone advised me to insert in the DNS zone a list of MX records
>> defined with the same level of priority so the DNS server will choose
>> one of them without invoking always the same mail server....
>> It could be an idea, in my opinion, but I'd prefer a "less random"
>> solution and a more scientific one....
> very easy for smtp relays.
> smtp1
> smtp2
> create a dns name smtp, and your system will round robin query for the
> next available server.

DNS round robin is bad, it works but is defective for real load
balancing. The client choose the IP to use, this is "random", and
after can use the same ip for a while... this is not random.

The real solution is lvs or keepalived, the choice of the node is done
by the load balancer...

Bye.
From: Banyan He on
Depends on how many public IP addresses you have. I'd like recommend you
to have a try with keepalived. It's the balancing service software. Open
source. The front-end service keepalived will handle TCP request and
forward to the back-end servers you have. You can also setup the filter
also. Pretty nice.

--
Banyan He
Information Security& Infranstructure Technology

From: donovan jeffrey j on

On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Massimo Nuvoli wrote:

> donovan jeffrey j ha scritto:
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2010, at 8:09 AM, aa wrote:
>>
>>> Someone advised me to insert in the DNS zone a list of MX records
>>> defined with the same level of priority so the DNS server will
>>> choose
>>> one of them without invoking always the same mail server....
>>> It could be an idea, in my opinion, but I'd prefer a "less random"
>>> solution and a more scientific one....
>> very easy for smtp relays.
>> smtp1
>> smtp2
>> create a dns name smtp, and your system will round robin query for
>> the
>> next available server.
>
> DNS round robin is bad, it works but is defective for real load
> balancing. The client choose the IP to use, this is "random", and
> after can use the same ip for a while... this is not random.
>
> The real solution is lvs or keepalived, the choice of the node is done
> by the load balancer...
>
> Bye.
> <massimo.vcf>

I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just cheap. Of course a load balancing
switch can be purchased $
-j

From: Eero Volotinen on
2010/2/16 donovan jeffrey j <donovan(a)beth.k12.pa.us>:

> On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Massimo Nuvoli wrote:
>
>> donovan jeffrey j ha scritto:

>>> very easy for smtp relays.
>>> smtp1
>>> smtp2
>>> create a dns name smtp, and your system will round robin query for the
>>> next available server.
>>
>> DNS round robin is bad, it works but is defective for real load
>> balancing. The client choose the IP to use, this is "random", and
>> after can use the same ip for a while... this is not random.
>>
>> The real solution is lvs or keepalived, the choice of the node is done
>> by the load balancer...
>>
>> Bye.
>> <massimo.vcf>
>
> I wouldn't  say it's bad, it's just cheap. Of course a load balancing switch
> can be purchased $

Well, It is bad because server (client) can cache ip address for long
time and then one of your smtp server fails. It can take long time
before server gets ip address of working smtp server..

--
Eero

From: Wietse Venema on
Massimo Nuvoli:
> donovan jeffrey j ha scritto:
> >
> > On Feb 16, 2010, at 8:09 AM, aa wrote:
> >
> >> Someone advised me to insert in the DNS zone a list of MX records
> >> defined with the same level of priority so the DNS server will choose
> >> one of them without invoking always the same mail server....
> >> It could be an idea, in my opinion, but I'd prefer a "less random"
> >> solution and a more scientific one....
> > very easy for smtp relays.
> > smtp1
> > smtp2
> > create a dns name smtp, and your system will round robin query for the
> > next available server.
>
> DNS round robin is bad, it works but is defective for real load
> balancing. The client choose the IP to use, this is "random", and
> after can use the same ip for a while... this is not random.

This is a technical mailing list. When you claim that something is
bad, you need to support that claim with actual evidence. Otherwise,
you are just spreading rumors.

How many clients hang on to a server's IP address? How many of
these hang on to the same server IP address? What evidence is the
basis for these claims?

Wietse

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2