From: Gopi on
hello
in our network, several system affect by virus and i went on safe mode and
edit the registry, delete the values (locate.exe and hpws.exe) restart and
its works fine.

after sometime, it affected again. (i cannot edit the registry or anything)
again i have to go thro safe mode.

we are using Etrust Antivirus server, is there anyway to clean this? several
servers affected with this, and all are having up to date microsoft patches.

Thanks
Gopi

From: Malke on
Gopi wrote:

> hello
> in our network, several system affect by virus and i went on safe mode
> and edit the registry, delete the values (locate.exe and hpws.exe)
> restart and its works fine.
>
> after sometime, it affected again. (i cannot edit the registry or
> anything) again i have to go thro safe mode.
>
> we are using Etrust Antivirus server, is there anyway to clean this?
> several servers affected with this, and all are having up to date
> microsoft patches.

If the malware is returning, then you haven't cleaned it. Either someone
is doing the same bad behavior that got you the worm or other machines
on the network are infected and are reinfecting the servers. Here is a
link with more information about the worm you apparently have:

http://info.ahnlab.com/securityinfo/virus_view_eng_new.jsp?SEQ_NO=2085

You are going to have to take down the network and scan all servers and
workstations for viruses. You can't do just one or two and leave them
connected. I don't know how effective Etrust AV server is, but you
might want to try another av scanner temporarily.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
From: Peter Foldes on
If that is the case then disconnect all from the Network or close your Network and re-do all machines . You might have one machine that you missed and do not see or one or more that you did not clean properly.

--
Peter

From: Peter Foldes on
Oooops. Sorry Malke I did not see your post when posting

--
Peter

From: Gopi on
Thanks Malke
No i guess we fix the error, anyway let me wait for one more day if any
issues return back or not.

i run the microsoft malware utility to fix this issue but i got the message
that, virus (rbot) can not be removed. so i stop the sql services (i notice
that the affected systems all are having sql) from command prompt i kill the
locate.exe task, rename the locate.exe (windows\syste32 folder) and delete
that file, edit the registry and delete the locate.exe entry. Then thro GFI
languard find the what are the patches are missing . (all our servers are up
to date )but find out some of the valnurability patches are missing (it
shows only n gfi languard, normal windows update it doest show) update the
missing patches then re run the malware, this time it shows no virus found.
i guss it will be fine. let me wait for one more day.

is there anything i can check / do more?

Thanks
Gopi

"Malke" <notreally(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Gopi wrote:
>
>> hello
>> in our network, several system affect by virus and i went on safe mode
>> and edit the registry, delete the values (locate.exe and hpws.exe)
>> restart and its works fine.
>>
>> after sometime, it affected again. (i cannot edit the registry or
>> anything) again i have to go thro safe mode.
>>
>> we are using Etrust Antivirus server, is there anyway to clean this?
>> several servers affected with this, and all are having up to date
>> microsoft patches.
>>
> If the malware is returning, then you haven't cleaned it. Either someone
> is doing the same bad behavior that got you the worm or other machines
> on the network are infected and are reinfecting the servers. Here is a
> link with more information about the worm you apparently have:
>
> http://info.ahnlab.com/securityinfo/virus_view_eng_new.jsp?SEQ_NO=2085
>
> You are going to have to take down the network and scan all servers and
> workstations for viruses. You can't do just one or two and leave them
> connected. I don't know how effective Etrust AV server is, but you
> might want to try another av scanner temporarily.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com