From: Gaiseric Vandal on
The @ sign means you are specifying the domain. With Active Directory
server you can have an internet-type domain name. Which means, as
you saw, can simplify login experience for the user.

I would guess the solution is to have your Samba server emulate an AD
server. I don't think there is a way to change the client side
behaviour but you could run gpedit.msc on an XP machine and see what
settings exist.

On 07/16/2010 10:05 AM, Flávio Fonseca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to implement samba with ldap using email as user login. But on
> windows XP clients when I insert a user with @ in the user name it removes
> the Domain field from the login dialog box and what ever comes after @ is the
> login its gonna look for.
> Anyone knows a way to either be able to use @ in the user name and be able
> to select the domain to join or any other sugestion to make it work,
> something to configure on windows station or samba server? In my case I have
> a domain named MyDomain and a email domain MyDomain.com.br. I'd like to have
> a login like user(a)MyDomain.com.br and be able to select the windows domain
> MyDomain at login.
> Thanks you all for your attention. Any suggestion is very welcome.

I think there is some way to mangle usernames so that there is a "+"
or other symbol where the "@" is now...
So the user would login as user+MyDomain.com.br, and the Windows
domain name could be something completely different...
Then, when you query the LDAP database for that user, you can replace
the "+" with the "@" symbol...

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The @ sign means you are specifying the domain.   With Active Directory
> server you can have an internet-type domain name.      Which means, as you
> saw,  can simplify login experience for the user.
>
> I would guess the solution is to have your Samba server emulate an AD
> server.    I don't think there is a way to change the client side behaviour
> but you could run gpedit.msc on an XP machine and see what settings exist.
>

> On 07/16/2010 10:05 AM, Flávio Fonseca wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I'm trying to implement samba with ldap using email as user login. But
>> on
>> windows XP clients when I insert a user with @ in the user name it removes
>> the Domain field from the login dialog box and what ever comes after @ is
>> the
>> login its gonna look for.
>>   Anyone knows a way to either be able to use @ in the user name and be
>> able
>> to select the domain to join or any other sugestion to make it work,
>> something to configure on windows station or samba server? In my case I
>> have
>> a domain named MyDomain and a email domain MyDomain.com.br. I'd like to
>> have
>> a login like user(a)MyDomain.com.br and be able to select the windows domain
>> MyDomain at login.
>>   Thanks you all for your attention. Any suggestion is very welcome.

Scott Grizzard
Scott(a)ScottGrizzard.com
http://www.ScottGrizzard.com