From: terryS on
Looks like this news group has gone the way of some others.

It's inundated with advertising; for Gucci and Rolex cheap copies,
imitation or over-stock Nike shoes etc. doubtful services or site
references and so on.

So it's now virtually useless for it's original purpose. i.e.
discussion of basic electronics and allied matters.

Personally make a point of NEVER contacting or buying anything from
any one of these advertising interlopers to what once was a useful
discussion group.

Anyone agree? Bye the bye ...................... goodbye!
From: Michael Black on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, terryS wrote:

> Looks like this news group has gone the way of some others.
>
> It's inundated with advertising; for Gucci and Rolex cheap copies,
> imitation or over-stock Nike shoes etc. doubtful services or site
> references and so on.
>
> So it's now virtually useless for it's original purpose. i.e.
> discussion of basic electronics and allied matters.
>
> Personally make a point of NEVER contacting or buying anything from
> any one of these advertising interlopers to what once was a useful
> discussion group.
>
> Anyone agree? Bye the bye ...................... goodbye!

There are a few things at play.

First, you post from google, which is where a lot of the spam
is being posted through.

Second, proper newsfeeds often filter the most outrageous spam,
so the rest of us don't always see what the people whining at
google see.

Third, yes, I see a couple of instances of clusters of spam in the
past week or so, but that doesn't represent the ongoing newsgroup,
it sounds like you just pop in every so often, and then all you
see is spam.

Fourth, the newsgroup started "going downhill" years ago. One reason is
that new people stopped coming at the extent that they used to, they don't
know about newsgroups and they go elsewhere. A newsgroup actually needs
a steady stream of newcomers to make it viable. Then ISPs started
dropping Usenet, always claiming that people aren't interested in it,
so access isn't a default like it used to be.

Compounding that decline is that as people came, they saw a less lively
group, and then posted their questions in .design even outright saying "I
know this isn't the place, but it has more traffic". So that lessens
the traffic even more, and is bound to be bad for those posters, since
..design is not the same thing as .basic.

Now, one thing that happens over in .design is that it slowly became
a hangout, people posting about their off-topic junk instead of
finding the appropriate place, and then big arguments over off-topic
things, which makes .design look healthy in terms of traffic, but
actually indicates an equal decline of .design, it's just that they
are constantly yammering so it doesn't look "dead".

So few new posters come, then if they come they decide to post in
the wrong newsgroup. And then, any spam that might appear looks
worse than it did because traffic is so low that a few bits of
spam dwarf the new threads started here.

Michael

From: Tom Biasi on

"Michael Black" <et472(a)ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, terryS wrote:
>
>> Looks like this news group has gone the way of some others.
>>
>> It's inundated with advertising; for Gucci and Rolex cheap copies,
>> imitation or over-stock Nike shoes etc. doubtful services or site
>> references and so on.
>>
>> So it's now virtually useless for it's original purpose. i.e.
>> discussion of basic electronics and allied matters.
>>
>> Personally make a point of NEVER contacting or buying anything from
>> any one of these advertising interlopers to what once was a useful
>> discussion group.
>>
>> Anyone agree? Bye the bye ...................... goodbye!
>>
> There are a few things at play.
>
> First, you post from google, which is where a lot of the spam
> is being posted through.
>
> Second, proper newsfeeds often filter the most outrageous spam,
> so the rest of us don't always see what the people whining at
> google see.
>
> Third, yes, I see a couple of instances of clusters of spam in the
> past week or so, but that doesn't represent the ongoing newsgroup,
> it sounds like you just pop in every so often, and then all you
> see is spam.
>
> Fourth, the newsgroup started "going downhill" years ago. One reason is
> that new people stopped coming at the extent that they used to, they don't
> know about newsgroups and they go elsewhere. A newsgroup actually needs
> a steady stream of newcomers to make it viable. Then ISPs started
> dropping Usenet, always claiming that people aren't interested in it,
> so access isn't a default like it used to be.
>
> Compounding that decline is that as people came, they saw a less lively
> group, and then posted their questions in .design even outright saying "I
> know this isn't the place, but it has more traffic". So that lessens
> the traffic even more, and is bound to be bad for those posters, since
> .design is not the same thing as .basic.
>
> Now, one thing that happens over in .design is that it slowly became
> a hangout, people posting about their off-topic junk instead of
> finding the appropriate place, and then big arguments over off-topic
> things, which makes .design look healthy in terms of traffic, but
> actually indicates an equal decline of .design, it's just that they
> are constantly yammering so it doesn't look "dead".
>
> So few new posters come, then if they come they decide to post in
> the wrong newsgroup. And then, any spam that might appear looks
> worse than it did because traffic is so low that a few bits of
> spam dwarf the new threads started here.
>
> Michael

Well said Michael, of course I didn't see the original post because I filter
Google Groups.
Tom

From: Baron on
Michael Black Inscribed thus:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, terryS wrote:
>
>> Looks like this news group has gone the way of some others.
>>
>> It's inundated with advertising; for Gucci and Rolex cheap copies,
>> imitation or over-stock Nike shoes etc. doubtful services or site
>> references and so on.
>>
>> So it's now virtually useless for it's original purpose. i.e.
>> discussion of basic electronics and allied matters.
>>
>> Personally make a point of NEVER contacting or buying anything from
>> any one of these advertising interlopers to what once was a useful
>> discussion group.
>>
>> Anyone agree? Bye the bye ...................... goodbye!
>>
> There are a few things at play.
>
> First, you post from google, which is where a lot of the spam
> is being posted through.
>
> Second, proper newsfeeds often filter the most outrageous spam,
> so the rest of us don't always see what the people whining at
> google see.
>
> Third, yes, I see a couple of instances of clusters of spam in the
> past week or so, but that doesn't represent the ongoing newsgroup,
> it sounds like you just pop in every so often, and then all you
> see is spam.
>
> Fourth, the newsgroup started "going downhill" years ago. One reason
> is that new people stopped coming at the extent that they used to,
> they don't
> know about newsgroups and they go elsewhere. A newsgroup actually
> needs
> a steady stream of newcomers to make it viable. Then ISPs started
> dropping Usenet, always claiming that people aren't interested in it,
> so access isn't a default like it used to be.
>
> Compounding that decline is that as people came, they saw a less
> lively group, and then posted their questions in .design even outright
> saying "I
> know this isn't the place, but it has more traffic". So that lessens
> the traffic even more, and is bound to be bad for those posters, since
> .design is not the same thing as .basic.
>
> Now, one thing that happens over in .design is that it slowly became
> a hangout, people posting about their off-topic junk instead of
> finding the appropriate place, and then big arguments over off-topic
> things, which makes .design look healthy in terms of traffic, but
> actually indicates an equal decline of .design, it's just that they
> are constantly yammering so it doesn't look "dead".
>
> So few new posters come, then if they come they decide to post in
> the wrong newsgroup. And then, any spam that might appear looks
> worse than it did because traffic is so low that a few bits of
> spam dwarf the new threads started here.
>
> Michael

Well said.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: steamer on
--Killfiles are your friends; get the knack of using them and half
the battle's won. That, and shell: some call it primitive but it solves a
myriad of problems..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Come see my stuff
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : at Maker Faire!!