From: steve on
I have been running Slack64-13.0 for the past two months. I boot from
a flashdrive to my installation on a removable harddrive.

Everything ok up to now.

But now all of a sudden it won't let me log in as user 'steve',
claiming my password is invalid. It still lets me log in as 'root'.

I've been able to get back in as 'steve' by deleting user 'steve' and
then adding him back, keeping all the files in /home/steve.

1) why is the 'steve' account becoming inaccessible after a reboot?
2) is there a way as 'root' to recover whatever password the computer
thinks 'steve' has?

From: Lew Pitcher on
On May 31, 2010 18:22, in alt.os.linux.slackware, shmartonak(a)ticnet.com
wrote:

> I have been running Slack64-13.0 for the past two months. I boot from
> a flashdrive to my installation on a removable harddrive.
>
> Everything ok up to now.
>
> But now all of a sudden it won't let me log in as user 'steve',
> claiming my password is invalid. It still lets me log in as 'root'.
>
> I've been able to get back in as 'steve' by deleting user 'steve' and
> then adding him back, keeping all the files in /home/steve.
>
> 1) why is the 'steve' account becoming inaccessible after a reboot?

You haven't given us enough information to be able to properly answer this
question. Some possibilities are:
- you had an expiry date and inactivate date set on the user 'steve'
(see passwd(1), -x and -i options)
- you were using different /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow files than you had
originally used to set the user password
- some strange, undiagnosed problem that your brief description does not
provide clues to

> 2) is there a way as 'root' to recover whatever password the computer
> thinks 'steve' has?

Technically, no. There is no way to recover the user's password, once it has
been encrypted and added to the passwd (and/or shadow) database.

However, there are many 'password cracking' programs available, that, if the
user has used an easily guessable password (a dictionary word, a date, a
proper name, or some other "well-known" limited-range value), can
rediscover the user's password by attempting to encrypt guesses until an
encrypted guess matches the encrypted passwd. Perhaps the best known of
these is "John the Ripper". You can google that one.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher

From: Danno on
steve wrote:
<snip>
> 2) is there a way as 'root' to recover whatever password the computer
> thinks 'steve' has?

As root couldn't you just
su steve
then change the password?
passwd

--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755
From: Danno on
Danno wrote:
<snip>
> then change the password?
> passwd

Sorry, didn't realize passwd would prompt for the old password first.

From: Lew Pitcher on
On May 31, 2010 19:15, in alt.os.linux.slackware, WhoaBaby(a)MySecretPlace.org
wrote:

> steve wrote:
> <snip>
>> 2) is there a way as 'root' to recover whatever password the computer
>> thinks 'steve' has?
>
> As root couldn't you just
> su steve
> then change the password?
> passwd

As /root/, the OP would only have to
passwd steve
and give the new password. /root/ has the power to change any password
without knowing the current password.

For that matter, as /root/, the OP could just have edited /etc/shadow to
remove 'steve's old password, and then logged on as steve without a
password. (Not recommended, unless the passwd(1) utility has been lost)

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher

 |  Next  |  Last