From: Scott Cole on
I have installed 13.1 on a 24 inch iMac. I am not having any luck getting
sound from my internal speakers. Most programs act like they think sound is
playing. In xmms, I see the visualization stuff like it is playing. Just
nothing audible. I hear nothing in Flash. In KDE, I hit the test button in
the Control Center/Multimedia and I get no errors but no sound. Yes, I have
run alsaconf, alsamixer (nothing muted), alsactl store...

Here is a link to my alsa information output script:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9319ecb75a5f6029852486e8e9aac51ccab184de

In /etc/modprobe.d/options, I have tried a couple different model names with
no change.

If I plug in my Bose speakers to the USB, I get sound out of them from some
applications including KDE.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Scott
--
Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.
From: Richard Herbert on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:01:28 -0400, Scott Cole wrote:

> I have installed 13.1 on a 24 inch iMac. I am not having any luck
> getting sound from my internal speakers. Most programs act like they
> think sound is playing. In xmms, I see the visualization stuff like it
> is playing. Just nothing audible. I hear nothing in Flash. In KDE, I hit
> the test button in the Control Center/Multimedia and I get no errors but
> no sound. Yes, I have run alsaconf, alsamixer (nothing muted), alsactl
> store...
>
> Here is a link to my alsa information output script:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?
f=9319ecb75a5f6029852486e8e9aac51ccab184de

> In /etc/modprobe.d/options, I have tried a couple different model names
> with no change.
>
> If I plug in my Bose speakers to the USB, I get sound out of them from
> some applications including KDE.
>
> I appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>
> Scott

All of my problems were solved by adding the folowing to /etc/modprobe.d/
options.conf:

options snd-card-0 index=0

YMMV

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329
From: Clemens Ladisch on
Scott Cole wrote:
> I have installed 13.1 on a 24 inch iMac. I am not having any luck getting
> sound from my internal speakers. Most programs act like they think sound is
> playing. In xmms, I see the visualization stuff like it is playing. Just
> nothing audible. I hear nothing in Flash. In KDE, I hit the test button in
> the Control Center/Multimedia and I get no errors but no sound. Yes, I have
> run alsaconf, alsamixer (nothing muted), alsactl store...
>
> Here is a link to my alsa information output script:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9319ecb75a5f6029852486e8e9aac51ccab184de

I'd guess that the speakers are controlled by rhe "Speaker" control, which
is set to a rather low volume.

Regards,
Clemens
From: Scott Cole on
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Scott Cole wrote:
>> I have installed 13.1 on a 24 inch iMac. I am not having any luck getting
>> sound from my internal speakers. Most programs act like they think sound
>> is playing. In xmms, I see the visualization stuff like it is playing.
>> Just nothing audible. I hear nothing in Flash. In KDE, I hit the test
>> button in the Control Center/Multimedia and I get no errors but no sound.
>> Yes, I have run alsaconf, alsamixer (nothing muted), alsactl store...
>>
>> Here is a link to my alsa information output script:
>> http://www.alsa-
project.org/db/?f=9319ecb75a5f6029852486e8e9aac51ccab184de

> I'd guess that the speakers are controlled by rhe "Speaker" control, which
> is set to a rather low volume.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

Thanks for the reply. When I look at the mixer, all levels are at 100% and
nothing muted.
--
Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.
From: Scott Cole on
Richard Herbert wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:01:28 -0400, Scott Cole wrote:
>
>> I have installed 13.1 on a 24 inch iMac. I am not having any luck
>> getting sound from my internal speakers. Most programs act like they
>> think sound is playing. In xmms, I see the visualization stuff like it
>> is playing. Just nothing audible. I hear nothing in Flash. In KDE, I hit
>> the test button in the Control Center/Multimedia and I get no errors but
>> no sound. Yes, I have run alsaconf, alsamixer (nothing muted), alsactl
>> store...
>>
>> Here is a link to my alsa information output script:
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?
> f=9319ecb75a5f6029852486e8e9aac51ccab184de
>>
>> In /etc/modprobe.d/options, I have tried a couple different model names
>> with no change.
>>
>> If I plug in my Bose speakers to the USB, I get sound out of them from
>> some applications including KDE.
>>
>> I appreciate any suggestions you might have.
>>
>> Scott
>
> All of my problems were solved by adding the folowing to /etc/modprobe.d/
> options.conf:
>
> options snd-card-0 index=0
>
> YMMV

I entered that line and restarted /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa. Still no sound. Thanks
for the suggestion.

--
Only trust pipe-smoking penguins.
 |  Next  |  Last