From: steve on
On Jun 1, 1:10 am, Hel...(a)Hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
> Hallo, Danno,
>
> Du meintest am 31.05.10:
>
> > Danno wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> then change the password?
> >> passwd
> > Sorry, didn't realize passwd would prompt for the old password
> > first.
>
> But he is already logged in as root. Then he can change everybodys
> password without knowing their old password.
>
> Viele Gruesse
> Helmut
>
> "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Well darn!

I set up another user 'steve2' to see it it would get screwed up. I
also made copies of my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files to see which
one of them got changed. Twice now I've rebooted and have been able
to login as 'steve' with no problem. So for the time being it has
become a non-problem. Anyway, thanks to all those who replied to my
original question.

Steve

From: Michael Black on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, steve wrote:

> On Jun 1, 1:10 am, Hel...(a)Hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
>> Hallo, Danno,
>>
>> Du meintest am 31.05.10:
>>
>>> Danno wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Sorry, didn't realize passwd would prompt for the old password
>>> first.
>>
>> But he is already logged in as root. Then he can change everybodys
>> password without knowing their old password.
>>
>> Viele Gruesse
>> Helmut
>>
>> "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
>
> Well darn!
>
> I set up another user 'steve2' to see it it would get screwed up. I
> also made copies of my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files to see which
> one of them got changed. Twice now I've rebooted and have been able
> to login as 'steve' with no problem. So for the time being it has
> become a non-problem. Anyway, thanks to all those who replied to my
> original question.

It may have been something silly like when setting up the account,
you enter one password but remember another. I've done that when
registering at websites, usually it's because I use an uppercase
character when I remember using a lowercase, or I put in a "0" instead
of "o" but remember the reverse.

Michael

From: steve on
On Jun 1, 10:41 am, Michael Black <et...(a)ncf.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, steve wrote:
> > On Jun 1, 1:10 am, Hel...(a)Hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
> >> Hallo, Danno,
>
> >> Du meintest am 31.05.10:

> >> But he is already logged in as root. Then he can change everybodys
> >> password without knowing their old password.
>
> >> Viele Gruesse
> >> Helmut
>
> >> "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
>
> > Well darn!
>
> > I set up another user 'steve2' to see it it would get screwed up. I
> > also made copies of my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files to see which
> > one of them got changed. Twice now I've rebooted and have been able
> > to login as 'steve' with no problem. So for the time being it has
> > become a non-problem. Anyway, thanks to all those who replied to my
> > original question.
>
> It may have been something silly like when setting up the account,
> you enter one password but remember another. I've done that when
> registering at websites, usually it's because I use an uppercase
> character when I remember using a lowercase, or I put in a "0" instead
> of "o" but remember the reverse.
>
> Michael

Anything involving operator error is definitely a possibility.

Prior to my difficulties I had been getting the computer set up as an
NSF server so I may have screwed up something then.