From: 66oldgit on
Hi can anyone tell me how to get this right, on start up today a
message offerered an update on 'real player so i clicked on it and d/
loaded vers 11,but when i tried to install, message said i dont have
admin rights to access the registry, install aborted. a/vir is clear,
so any advice plese. thanx Don
From: JD on
On 21/03/2010 4:45 PM, 66oldgit wrote:
> Hi can anyone tell me how to get this right, on start up today a
> message offerered an update on 'real player so i clicked on it and d/
> loaded vers 11,but when i tried to install, message said i dont have
> admin rights to access the registry, install aborted. a/vir is clear,
> so any advice plese. thanx Don

Hi Don

Which version of windows are you using ?

If it is Win7/Vista:
then even if you are an administrator sometimes you have to right
click the installer/application and select "Run as Administrator"

If it is XP:
then you may be running as a limited user, if this is the case then
you should start in safe mode and select the administrator account (if
it is XP home there should be no password) then go to control pannel,
User's, and change your username to a Administrator account.

JD

From: 66oldgit on
On Mar 22, 6:52 pm, JD <No.Re...(a)Sorry.com> wrote:
> On 21/03/2010 4:45 PM, 66oldgit wrote:
>
> > Hi can anyone tell me how to get this right, on start up today  a
> > message offerered an update on 'real player so i clicked on it and d/
> > loaded vers 11,but when i tried to install, message said i dont have
> > admin rights to access the registry, install aborted. a/vir is clear,
> > so any advice plese. thanx Don
>
> Hi Don
>
> Which version of windows are you using ?
>
> If it is Win7/Vista:
>   then even if you are an administrator sometimes you have to right
> click the installer/application and select "Run as Administrator"
>
> If it is XP:
>   then you may be running as a limited user, if this is the case then
> you should start in safe mode and select the administrator account (if
> it is XP home there should be no password) then go to control pannel,
> User's, and change your username to a Administrator account.
>
> JD

gotXP pro looked in users,i am listed as computer administrator under
my name.got asp.net,'limited' and guest, with just running.
d/l 'as show a freeware video player which seems to work, tho' not as
classy as Real. while writing this d/l fromrealplayer.com again. it
all showed as coming over,
then an 'installing' box which ran for three mins whilst showing ads
and thenZapp
alll went blank Looked in 'Downloads' folder and no show of anything.!
Maybe ill find it on a disc off a mag sometime and try again, but
thanx for help Don
From: JD on
On 22/03/2010 8:28 PM, 66oldgit wrote:
> On Mar 22, 6:52 pm, JD<No.Re...(a)Sorry.com> wrote:
>> On 21/03/2010 4:45 PM, 66oldgit wrote:
>>
>>> Hi can anyone tell me how to get this right, on start up today a
>>> message offerered an update on 'real player so i clicked on it and d/
>>> loaded vers 11,but when i tried to install, message said i dont have
>>> admin rights to access the registry, install aborted. a/vir is clear,
>>> so any advice plese. thanx Don
>>
>> Hi Don
>>
>> Which version of windows are you using ?
>>
>> If it is Win7/Vista:
>> then even if you are an administrator sometimes you have to right
>> click the installer/application and select "Run as Administrator"
>>
>> If it is XP:
>> then you may be running as a limited user, if this is the case then
>> you should start in safe mode and select the administrator account (if
>> it is XP home there should be no password) then go to control pannel,
>> User's, and change your username to a Administrator account.
>>
>> JD
>
> gotXP pro looked in users,i am listed as computer administrator under
> my name.got asp.net,'limited' and guest, with just running.
> d/l 'as show a freeware video player which seems to work, tho' not as
> classy as Real. while writing this d/l fromrealplayer.com again. it
> all showed as coming over,
> then an 'installing' box which ran for three mins whilst showing ads
> and thenZapp
> alll went blank Looked in 'Downloads' folder and no show of anything.!
> Maybe ill find it on a disc off a mag sometime and try again, but
> thanx for help Don

I was fixing someone's PC last night and I encountered what seems like
the same problem you had/have.

it turns out he had Microsoft's Security Essentials installed and when
I went to run a program (for password recovery) it gave me a message
about not having admin rights to run it, the program was flagged as
mallicious/untrusted and the AV package was blocking it, you can disable
the active checking or allow the program which will let you run/install
it but I would not recommend doing this!

so I reckon it may be anti-virus software if you have it that's giving
you this problem (and if it is then there's probably a good reason for it)

JD
From: Colin Trunt on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 22/03/2010 8:28 PM, 66oldgit wrote:

>>> Hi Don
>>>
>>> Which version of windows are you using ?
>>>
>>> If it is Win7/Vista:
>>> then even if you are an administrator sometimes you have to right
>>> click the installer/application and select "Run as Administrator"
>>>
>>> If it is XP:
>>> then you may be running as a limited user, if this is the case then
>>> you should start in safe mode and select the administrator account (if
>>> it is XP home there should be no password) then go to control pannel,
>>> User's, and change your username to a Administrator account.
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> gotXP pro looked in users,i am listed as computer administrator under
>> my name.got asp.net,'limited' and guest, with just running.
>> d/l 'as show a freeware video player which seems to work, tho' not as
>> classy as Real. while writing this d/l fromrealplayer.com again. it
>> all showed as coming over,
>> then an 'installing' box which ran for three mins whilst showing ads
>> and thenZapp
>> alll went blank Looked in 'Downloads' folder and no show of anything.!
>> Maybe ill find it on a disc off a mag sometime and try again, but
>> thanx for help Don
>
> I was fixing someone's PC last night and I encountered what seems like the
> same problem you had/have.
>
> it turns out he had Microsoft's Security Essentials installed and when I
> went to run a program (for password recovery) it gave me a message about
> not having admin rights to run it, the program was flagged as
> mallicious/untrusted and the AV package was blocking it, you can disable
> the active checking or allow the program which will let you run/install it
> but I would not recommend doing this!
>
> so I reckon it may be anti-virus software if you have it that's giving you
> this problem (and if it is then there's probably a good reason for it)
>
> JD

Had asimilar problem when making changes to start-up programs
via msconfig

"An access denied error was returned whilst attempting to change a service.
You may need to log on using an Administrator account...."

Maybe you could making a change to a startup program (click then unclick so
not change is made) then clcik apply and see if you get the error.

I have googled this and found some odd 'solutions' (don't work for me)
but several results suggest an antivirus may be the culprite.
IT is suggested it tries to stop viruses turning off the AV, however
the changes are applied despite what the error message says.

Not fixed it yet though.