From: Paul Hovnanian P.E. on
Tim Williams wrote:

> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If you mathematically look at it, look up Fourrier transform,
>
> Four rear transform?
>
> Rule 34, it lives

No, its 'furrier' transform. Because the math is pretty hairy.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul(a)Hovnanian.com
Ask me about my vow of silence.
From: Grant on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:04:58 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <Paul(a)Hovnanian.com> wrote:

>Tim Williams wrote:
>>
>> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > If you mathematically look at it, look up Fourrier transform,
>>
>> Four rear transform?
>>
>> Rule 34, it lives
>
>No, its 'furrier' transform. Because the math is pretty hairy.

Thanks Paul, I needed this with my morning coffee :) Math is
not my strong point.

Grant.
From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/06/2010 02:04 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>>
>> "Jan Panteltje"<pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> If you mathematically look at it, look up Fourrier transform,
>>
>> Four rear transform?
>>
>> Rule 34, it lives
>
> No, its 'furrier' transform. Because the math is pretty hairy.

Or 'farrier' transform, because it'll kick you in the head if you aren't
careful?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:04:58 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian
P.E." <Paul(a)Hovnanian.com> wrote in <4C5C78FA.B3C40C93(a)Hovnanian.com>:

>Tim Williams wrote:
>>
>> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > If you mathematically look at it, look up Fourrier transform,
>>
>> Four rear transform?
>>
>> Rule 34, it lives
>
>No, its 'furrier' transform. Because the math is pretty hairy.

Fourier is actually simple.
I even did it in ASM on a PIC with sine lookup table:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/scope_pic/
From: Rich Grise on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:57:55 -0700, panfilero wrote:

> I have a question about where do frequencies end and pulses start?
>
> I'm trying to make an impact detection circuit, I have some sensors on
> a mat, and when something strikes the mat I get a small voltage (like
> 100mV).... so I'd like to amplify this 100mV to something around
> 1V....
>
> I've been reading up online on how to do this, and the app notes and
> other sources I've found say that it's important to take the frequency
> of my system into account and make sure my amp can handle that
> frequency range...
>
> I don't know what the frequency of my system could be... if I get one
> impact a minute... is that even a frequency? or just detecting a
> pulse... do I even need to worry about the frequency range if I'm just
> detecting random events? maybe I start seeing 1 impact per second...
> now I'm at 1Hz.... does this require a special kind of op-amp?
>
> Does a single voltage spike have a frequency associated with it that I
> need to take into consideration when creating my amplifier?
>
> as you can see I'm pretty confused about this low frequency/impulse
> stuff.... any help is greatly appreciated,
> thanks!

You want to look at the frequency _response_ of your system. The higher
the frequency response, the faster it'll be able to respond to the edge
of a pulse or a contact like yours.

As far as frequency itself, that would be more like how often are people
stepping on the pad, which I kinda intuit isn't what you're looking for
here. :-)

Have Fun!
Rich