From: notbob on
I'm looking for cheap low power linux server solution. I guess I
could hook up an old desktop, but I have nothing below 200W PS. I've
been looking at the sheevaplug wall wart thing and mini-ITX systems
and other options like the waysmall, but they all seen pretty pricey.
I only need something to serve as a dedicated irc server that would
draw no more than 10-20W and use a flash drive and be ethernet
capable. What else should I be looking at? Seems there should be
something out there in the $50 range.

nb
From: Joe on
On 2009-10-24, notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for cheap low power linux server solution. I guess I
> could hook up an old desktop, but I have nothing below 200W PS. I've
> been looking at the sheevaplug wall wart thing and mini-ITX systems
> and other options like the waysmall, but they all seen pretty pricey.
> I only need something to serve as a dedicated irc server that would
> draw no more than 10-20W and use a flash drive and be ethernet
> capable. What else should I be looking at? Seems there should be
> something out there in the $50 range.

And I think that you are cmoking crack...

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
From: Grant on
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:30:50 GMT, notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for cheap low power linux server solution. I guess I
>could hook up an old desktop, but I have nothing below 200W PS. I've
>been looking at the sheevaplug wall wart thing and mini-ITX systems
>and other options like the waysmall, but they all seen pretty pricey.
>I only need something to serve as a dedicated irc server that would
>draw no more than 10-20W and use a flash drive and be ethernet
>capable. What else should I be looking at? Seems there should be
>something out there in the $50 range.

An old lappy with a pair of pcmcia slots for the ethernet cards?

A linux based modem/router you could retask?

ARM based CPU cards -- more than $50 though.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
From: Wolfgang Draxinger on
Joe wrote:

> And I think that you are cmoking crack...

No he isn't.

Hint to the OP: Get a Foneara or some el-ceapo plastic router running Linux.
Put something like OpenWRT on it. That would be the cheapest solution. You
can get a Foneara for ~$5 at eBay.

If you don't want to tinker, then you'd probably interested in something
like PCEngines ALIX, though they come at about $100.

Wolfgang

From: philo on
notbob wrote:
> I'm looking for cheap low power linux server solution. I guess I
> could hook up an old desktop, but I have nothing below 200W PS. I've
> been looking at the sheevaplug wall wart thing and mini-ITX systems
> and other options like the waysmall, but they all seen pretty pricey.
> I only need something to serve as a dedicated irc server that would
> draw no more than 10-20W and use a flash drive and be ethernet
> capable. What else should I be looking at? Seems there should be
> something out there in the $50 range.
>
> nb

Just use one of your old desktop machines...it will be fine.

just because it has a 200 watt power supply does not mean the thing will
consume 200 watts...that's simply it's maximum rating.

Though the machine will probably draw a bit more power than your desired
10 - 20 watts...It will be well below 200 watts

Just a rough guess 30 watts idle 45 watts peak.

The few dollars a year you will pay for your electric power is going a
be cheaper than just going out and purchasing a new machine that might
possibly save you a few cents a year on your electric bill